BUGS in my grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought freezing produce moisture when thaw/defrost which would cause the grain to go rancid faster.

I am arguing with myself over this very point. I just bought nearly 600 pounds of grain to last me through the year from a group buy, and am considering putting each bag in my freezer for 3 or 4 days before putting it away. The only reason I haven't yet, is I am afraid it will get wet when it thaws.
If anyone has practical experience with freezing bags of grain before long term storage, please pipe up. :)

I'm quite shocked at the posts here. I buy Maris Otter in 25Kg sacks and they can be around for 6 - 9 months and I've never seen this, nor have I ever had to go to the trouble of freezing the bag. If I saw any form of life in my sacks of grain I'd be calling for them to be beheaded! :) (The people that sold me it, not the dwellers within)

Well, on the bright side they probably didn't eat much.
On the down side you probably shouldn't call it beer. The german purity law of 1516 says beer contains only barley, hops, and water:ban:
baru:drunk:

Well crap I got all this yeast in my 'beer' darn! :) Rheinheitsgebot was struck down in 1987 so it is no longer a law (though some German brewers still abide by it).

I stumbled across this post by whatever stroke of luck.

I happen to work at Brew Your Own Brew in Tucson.

First, I want to apologize for the treatment you received, and can assure you the person who helped you no longer works there. We do understand that this can be incredibly jarring. With that said, it's true that the bugs more than likely will not affect your beer. If this happens in the future, call in again and we'll make it right.

Nature's a b&$@* sometimes ;D

Did you get a chance to talk to Gary?

Drop on in soon!

(Disclaimer, this post does not necessarily reflect the views of the company, this is one man's word after a homebrew)

I stumbled across this post by whatever stroke of luck.

I happen to work at Brew Your Own Brew in Tucson.

First, I want to apologize for the treatment you received, and can assure you the person who helped you no longer works there. We do now offer the chance to replaced grains that have bugs in them as well as explain that they will have no noticeable affects on the beer. Nature's a b&$@* sometimes ;D

Did you get a chance to talk to Gary?

Drop on in soon!

I'm guessing he doesn't have the grain any longer. It's been 5 years since he posted.

Latest posts

Back