HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Yeast in the bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Eric89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast in the bottle

I'm currently waiting for my beer to carbonate and I guess continue its still fermenting , but I see that each bottle still has a good amount of yeast/sediment that has settled . Any thing I can do in my next batch to eliminate or lower the amount in each bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That kinda comes along with bottle conditioning. when you pour remember to try and leave the last 1/3-1/2 inch so you don't pour the yeast out.

You can reduce it by cold-crashing your beer before bottling to try and get as much suspended yeast out of the beer as possible but to be honest if you bottle condition you'll always have that layer -- and thus always have to have a careful pour.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

yeah it'll always be there if you bottle condition. To me it's a sign of a quality beer. Given the option of having a beer bottle conditioned or force carbed i'll do bottle conditioned every time.

If it's really an issue for you, you can get kegging equipment and force carb and bottle from the keg. Then there's no sediment

Kegged Vicious Hug DIPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 110

So if you want to be hardcore about it, filter, add back on about a fifth of a vial (or smackpack) of yeast at bottling, and you should get a sediment layer similar to sierra nevada (which is just a light dusting of yeast). Otherwise, wait longer before bottling, or cool prior to bottling, in either case it may take some experimenting to determine how long is right to clear most of the yeast but leave enough for carbonation in a reasonable time frame.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The only real way to NOT have yeast sediment in your bottle is to keg your beer, force carbonate, then fill your bottles from there with a beer gun, like the Blichmanns, or some other counterpressure method that maintains the CO2 in the beer.

Remember that it is the yeast that produce your carbonation when you naturally carb in a bottle, and they also reproduce while they are munching on your priming sugar to produce the CO2 for carbing, so you will always have yeast present in natural carbonation.

Primary #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cranberry Cider
Primary #2 - Smoked Vidalia Onion Beer
Primary #3 - Schwartzbier
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - EMPTY!
Keg #2 - EMPTY!
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply