Storing Empty Keg Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have found a lot of different threads about storing empty corny keg, but none about the lines. What is the recommended way to store the lines?

I dunno if there is a recommended way, but after cleansing mine, I fill a corny keg with 5 gallons of Starsan, purge the o2 with co2, and pour a glass through the tap, and disconnect with Starsan inside, until I reconnect a keg. Then I pour a glass of Starsan until I get the line full of beer, after that you can guess what happens.

This is of course after I transfer the starsan to all of my empty kegs with co2 through the beer out side. Anyhow, I have a routine that seems to work when I ave mutiple kegs going.

I usually do this as well. I forget sometimes after a keg has kicked, but I can't think of a better way to keep the lines sanitized while not in use.

what about after cleaning the lines run some iso alcohol through them to evaporate all of the moister left from washing. any thoughts?

I clean all tubing with hot PBW, flush with hot water, and blow it out with compressed air. There is no need to sanitize tubing during storage.

Then again, some people choose to sanitize their mash tun, girlfriend, dog, etc. :D

I clean all tubing with hot PBW, flush with hot water, and blow it out with compressed air. There is no need to sanitize tubing during storage.

Then again, some people choose to sanitize their mash tun, girlfriend, dog, etc. :D

Don’t Laugh…star san works great at cleaning off a dog that has been sprayed by a skunk.

I say hang them up and don’t leave star san in them for an extended period of time. After awhile if forms a slimy film that is hard to wash off. The beer poured through these lines become musty.

I don't like to leave starsan in my lines when I'm between kegs. I've left other plastic items in starsan for even just a couple hours one time and they ended up with a white film that King of Cascade mentioned. I've even left some metal swing tops in there for a couple hours and they ended up looking corroded and the white stuff wouldn't come off.

I clean my kegs with oxyclean and run hot oxyclean through the lines. Then I rinse the keg several times with hot water and run hot water through the lines. I'll leave everything like that, knowing it's clean. I'll then sanitize the keg and run starsan through the line before I put the next beer in.

Latest posts

Back