Show me your chest freezer keggers. Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll be happy with it too. It won't cost you an arm & a leg in electricity that some old POS freezer on Craigslist would, plus you have the added benefit of a warranty. If you use American Express, they double the warranty up to 1 year when you use the card to purchase it.

Even better yet, the local Lowes has a floor model version on clearance. It has a forklift scrape in the front but I don't care. They had the nerve to only take the price down 10% but I'll fix that up with a talk with the manager. If I understand retail correctly, floor model purchases are written off as business expense right from the start. I'm sure they don't need to make their typical stock margin on this one. Even if they did, they best do 25%. Otherize I'll grab a fresh new one using a 10% off Home Depot coupon.

The guy I bought it from had planned on making a kegerator himself but a new baby threw those plans out the window. I'm half tempted to email him a pic of my kegerator but I figure that might be too cruel

I would consider that to be a flagrant foul for piling on! :D

:off:
first time I glanced at this thread I thought it was titled "show me your chest" needless to say I was mildly dissapointed

My SWMBO finally saw the importance of proper lagering and cold aging for good beer. Most important to her is that her favorite...Kolsch, really would be smoother and crisper if cold conditioned.

That information presented in logical terms along with a lot of whining finally convinced her. :ban:

So I'm off to begin my shopping. I'll prolly burn $20.00 in gas to save $5.00 on price.

Now...who here knows the best place to buy a thermostat on line (other than Ebay...I'm checking there daily)?

Has anyone ever mounted the collar to the lid of the chest freezer or used some kind of split hybrid so that the shanks and faucets actually raise up out of your way? I can imagine screwing up and turning a faucet or two on, or worse yet breaking a faucet, when heaving a full corny up over the side. I might try to have the back half of the collar mounted to the chest so that the hinges get raised up like they should. Mid way down the sides, I'd cut the collar on a 45 degree bevel. Then the forward sides and the front of the collar would be attached to the lid. The only think I think I'd have to solve for is the seal. I probably wouldn't get away with using the stock seal and I'll have to use some weather stripping.

Something like this:

kegger.jpg

Looks like that will fit five cornies and a CO2 bottle. How much was it and what are the external dimensions, if I may ask?

:)

That is the size I am going to have to get. It is the perfect width to get it down the basement stairs. Do you think it will hold 2-3 kegs and the occasional carboy?

seyahmit said:
That is the size I am going to have to get. It is the perfect width to get it down the basement stairs. Do you think it will hold 2-3 kegs and the occasional carboy?

My guess is two cornies and a carboy for sure. A third corny? might be tight.

It will hold 3 cornies and one ale pale bucket or better bottle. I don't have any glass carboys but I think one would fit. You could just secondary in a corny though so you'll get 5 total in there.

Mine is a an Amana 10 cu. ft. I have my three cornies carbing and a fermenter crash cooling. On the compressor hump I have my Damp Rid and my temp probe in water.

Freezer.jpg

I love my blue masking tape for tagging kegs and fermenters. It works great. On kegs, wrap it around the lid arm and tape it back to itself and it makes a nice keg tag that won't come off in a chilled refrigerator.

I want a list of directions on how to make one like BP's. That thing is AWESOME!

I'm about to clear out a large patch of space in my garage and that would fit perfectly. I'm thinking maybe a 15 cu freezer with enough space for 8 to 10 cornies. I could tap 5 or six and have the others lagering.

So how 'bout it BP. Give us a breakdown on the build or at least some good pics or the inside.

Thanks for the size info. I'm going to take some circle cut outs of carboys and kegs to see what kind of configuration I can get.

I personally suspect I'll never put a carboy in mine. It fits cornies so well that I'll probably lager/age directly in the cornies. You can easily airlock it by putting a gas-in connector on there and running a hose into a jar of sanitizer.

Like others have said, I would like to throw a carboy in there to crash cool before kegging. Most of my conditioning and lagering will be in the keg.

Back