Severe foaming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallachia

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently started kegging, but I'm having a severe foaming issue (as in, the glass is ENTIRELY foam when it is dispensed)

I've just been using the set & forget at about 15psi at ~38F

I was using a tube that was entirely too long (~6 feet) but I've cut it down to about 3.5 feet

Despite the foaming, after about a week and a couple days in the keg, the beer has some discernable carbonation, but is almost flat.

Any ideas?

I was using a tube that was entirely too long (~6 feet) but I've cut it down to about 3.5 feet?

Here is your problem. You carbed to about 2.85 vols and don't have near enough resistance in that short line, so all the CO2 is coming out of solution leaving big foam over flat beer. I do 2.5 vols, or 13-14 psi at 41-42 degrees, and need 10-11 ft lines.

Hello all,

I've recently started kegging, but I'm having a severe foaming issue (as in, the glass is ENTIRELY foam when it is dispensed)

I've just been using the set & forget at about 15psi at ~38F

I was using a tube that was entirely too long (~6 feet) but I've cut it down to about 3.5 feet

Despite the foaming, after about a week and a couple days in the keg, the beer has some discernable carbonation, but is almost flat.

Any ideas?

Your line wasn't entirely too long- it was about 6' too short. A good rule of thumb is to use 1 foot of 3/16" line for every psi the regulator is set at, at fridge temps. I use 10' for my 12 psi system, but 12'-15' would be better as occasionally I get some foaming. (Mine is at 40 degrees).

The beer isn't flat- it's overcarbed but since it comes out like a firehose, you're losing the carbonation in the foam.

I was under the impression that the resistance in the hose 'agitated' the beer and caused the Co2 to come out of solution.

Well, it's an easy fix, at least

I'll keep the tube rule in mind for the future; that makes a lot of sense in retrospect

Latest posts

Back