Paintball tank with remote line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
Has anyone used a remote line to hook up to a regulator instead of buying a tank adapter? My thought is that with my two tanks (a 20 and 24 oz tank) and my remote line, I should not have to get an adapter. Any advice is welcome.

I had to run the co2 through a couple of regulators before it was down to carbing pressures, since it's coming out of the tank at 850-1200 PSI depending on temperature, you'd need a high pressure one to turn it down to under 400 PSI and a low pressure on to get it under 100 PSI reliably. Try finding a 2000-2003 high end model marker (autococker, older impulse, shoebox shocker, wrath, rainmaker, etc. No angels or intimidators those run on HPA only), most will have both and can be had for under $150. I made mine with autococker parts, I get about 5 corny fills to 20 PSI with a 12 oz tank.

My carbing setup:
12oz CO2 tank, hooked up to WGP ON/OFF ASA, wooked up with braided steel line to a system x high pressure regulator (output set at 300 PSI), hooked up to a palmer's persuit ASA to 1/8 NPT adapter, hooked up to a brass T with 1/8 NPT holes (one plugged, one inlet) one of which has a standard 2004 WGP bullet Low Pressure Regulator for autococker type markers (set at 10 PSI), hooked up by 1/16 ID urethane hose to a 10-32 barb on a 10-32 to 1/8 NPT adapter on another brass T, on the holes: inlet, 0-160 PSI gauge, outlet to reinforced vynil hose hooked up to the ball lock fitting that goes on the corny keg.

this is what it looks like:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5964/carbrig.jpg

That IS pretty cool, but I was hoping to be able to do it a bit cheaper... I guess buying the paintball tank adapter and standard two gauge regulator looks like the more economic way to go.

Just get a single gauge regulator. The high pressure gauge is pretty useless with a larger tank, and it is is totally useless with a paintball bottle.

BTW, go ahead and buy a pack of o-rings for the paintball tank, when you unscrew the adapter with pressure in the bottle, the o-ring tends to get shredded.

Can the low pressure regulators handle the inlet pressure of a paintball co2 tank without stepping it down with a high pressure regulator?

You need a high pressure regulator, but there are both single and dual gauge regulators that can take the high pressure down to dispensing pressure fairly well (within a psi or so). I have a medical oxygen regulator hooked up to the universal fill valve with some Swagelok tubing and fittings. Works great! and +1 on the extra o-rings for the cylinders. I bought a bag of 100 for a couple bucks.

I play paintball every once in a while so I definitely know what you're saying about chopped o-rings. Ok, so just so I'm following you, I need a high, and a low pressure regulator and the paintball tank adapter to make it all work. Right?

This is a good option if you have everything laying around already, but not if you have to buy it all. The p[aintball tank adpater allows you to use a standard reg setup for keggin, This includes a HP and LP reg. Without it you need to supply a HP (the one you use as a handle on the gun) and an LP (used on electro-pnematics and cockers)

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=268

This is closer to my setup. It uses a universal fill adapter and in this case shows the single gauge regulator discussed before. The universal fill adapter allows me to leave the cylinder in place and simply unscrew the knob to shut off CO2 for transport without disconnecting the CO2 cylinder and putting wear on the o-ring. The fill adapter was about $9 and I got my regulator (new) on e-bay for about $10 (listed as for medical oxygen and not in beer related categories, so probably didn't get much attention).

Can the low pressure regulators handle the inlet pressure of a paintball co2 tank without stepping it down with a high pressure regulator?

Autococker type LPR's can take straight CO2, I just did that to make sure the LPR is more finely adjusted, with a higher input pressure there is more variance per turn of the adjustment screw.

If you don't have the parts laying around then consider getting a regular kegging setup or if you're dead set on paintball equipment, take a look at palmer's persuit shop, they have fittings and airlines that could be of help and then there's this
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51

it's $150 but you'd have to add $30-$35 if you don't have a tank already.

why would you spend $150 on a regulator when you can get one for 40-50 that's built for a keg. Then just use the $20 paintball tank adapter?

Back