Noob Keg carbing questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I have only kegged 3 beers so far, been bottling for years....

That being said, i am new to the whole Co2 thing. I carbed my first beer with corn sugar, and 5 years of it sitting in the back of a closet. Barleywine, which is pretty damn good.

My Apfelwein was "set and forget" method at 12psi for about 10 days.

My Oaked RIPA was "30 psi burst" carbed. I somehow did a burst of 30 psi, shut the valve, another 30 psi burst, shut the valve and I believe i did this about 4 times. It came out perfect. I actually did the homemade beergun and filled some bottles, and now am serving that keg at 11 psi.

I am now getting ready to hook up my 3 way splitter/manifold for Co2, and 3 Cobra taps in my fridge.

Is it better to put the Co2 outside and run the line inside, or is it better to store tank and all inside?

Another question I have is about the length of beer line for better serving (less foam). I am running 3-4 feet of 1/4" ID beer line with absolutely no foam issues. I almost always use a cold, not frozen glass for the pour, and the whole setup is inside the fridge and therefore no warm beer lines to help create foam. So, I have 30 feet of line coming, should I use 10' for each beer line, or is it a waste?

Well, is there any other reason than insulation factor as to why the tank should remain inside? I would like to be able to cold crash a carboy, which I can do IF my tank is out of the fridge.

If you want the space in the fridge for beer then leave the CO2 outside of the fridge. You won't lose significant amounts of cooling through the hole for the CO2.

For the lines, I'm not sure. I just had a foaming problem that was easily fixed with 6'+ of 3/16" id beer line. Your line sounds too short and too large id to work... but it does! :D I say try it with the others at the shorter line and then adjust as necessary.

Let us know.

Back