Lost all my CO2!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I had one beer hooked up on tap for about 3 months. It was set up around 12PSI and I had sprayed the fittings for leaks when it was installed. I had not checked on it in awhile as it sat fairly dormant in the keezer until last weekend. I went to draw a pint and nothing happened. I checked the tank and cranking the regulator up noticed no increase in pressure.

So my question is, do tanks eventually run out in your system even when no apparent leaks are noticed? Do the kegs themselves slowly release CO2, the taps etc? I just couldn't ever find any leaks with a soapy water mixture, and I'm trying to trouble shoot my system. :mad:

Thanks!

Don't ya just HATE that!

No, sorry but you have a leak. Frustrating. Happened to me a few times. Are you sure you checked EVERYTHING?

on the keg: pressure relief valves, posts, lid, disconnects

the gas: the stem from the regulator to the tank (where mine has leaked -replaced the washer to fix) anywhere there are threaded connections, anywhere there is a hose connection.

I would call the keg the culprit. The o rings are devils when they don't work right. I had a poppet that didn't seat quite right and leaked slowly. Find that leak!

I figured as much, thanks for all the replies.

What sucks is the pressure is Adios, leaving the keg int the open air for a month without me noticing, so the beer is ruined also! :mad:

no - the beer should still be good - the CO2 only leaks until pressure is equalized. The (heavier than air) CO2 will still be blanketing the beer, just at ambient pressure. Recarb and it should be fine.

I am also chasing an elusive leak. I don't leave my gas on all the time any more thanks to old kegs. But I do have to charge the kegs everyday.

My plans to mitigate this are to pressurize the out-of-service kegs with air while they are in storage. A quick pop of the release or poppet will tell me if they hold pressure before I attempt to fill them. I picked up a air test valve from Lowes and attached a disconnect to it, with this I can pressurize the kegs from a compressor instyead of wasting gas.

Back