Large CO2 Cylinders - OK to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frisbee91

Reaction score
So I am setting up my first keg system, and have found a source for a few used corny kegs.

I was looking for a CO2 cylinder when my brother mentions to me that someone left behind six large CO2 cylinders at the building he leases for his business. I have no idea what the CO2 was used for, but the cylinders are stamped "Liquified CO2". He says I can have them for free.

These cylinders are about 9-10" in diameter, about 4 to 4.5 feet tall, and are grey steel with brass valves. Maybe they hold 100lbs of CO2? All cylinders are currently empty.

So my question is, is there anything special about CO2 cylinders for beverge use? Is it ok to use one of these (with a proper regulator) for my corny keg setup?

They are 50 pound tanks, and certainly can be used. I got mine when a friend bought a house in the country and found one in the barn. i loaded it up in my truck, hauled it down to the welding supply store and exchanged it for a full one. It cost me $21.50 including tax and should last several years.

I've got two 50# tanks, and have been using one of them for around 5 years, still haven't refilled it. They are great!

Anyone near northern Delaware interested in one? Good price. :)

Some times refill joints will not refill larger tanks unless you have ownership papers for them.......

I've already had a few takers.
I have a few more large CO2 Cylinders for Sale. Here's what they look like. PM me if you are interested...

co2 tank.jpg

frisbee91 said:
Misfit,
Please e-mail me. The system won't allow me to send you anymore PM's since your inbox is full. (Check your PM's for my e-mail address)

Email sent

If you were going to get a large-ish cylinder (not 50# but maybe 25# or 20#) would it be better to just buy it from Airgas? If you show up without a cylinder do they give you some old beat up one and charge you 100 bucks for it?

Aluminum 20# are like 100 bucks online.

Back