Kegerator Connection Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
Here is my dilemma. I hooked up my Kegerator I built with 100% used parts out of an old fridge. I washed everything very well and even bought new beer lines and connectors which the guy at the local home brew store set up for me. After connecting everything the beer leaked from the connection in the back of the fridge that connects to the shank. I turned off the CO2 and untapped the keg several time to tighten the nut and every time it leaked. I finally gave up and connect my old gross beer line that had a wing nut I could tighten. That worked but the beer was super foamy and very skunky.

My question is what can I do to make my new beer line work and more importantly how many times can I keep turning off the CO2 and un-tapping the keg before it goes bad.

Please help!

As one-piece shanks are damned near fool-proof to plumb, I'm going to guess you are using a tail piece and swivel nut to connect your beer line to the shank. If so, there needs to be a rubber washer/O-ring stuffed inside the swivel nut that will seal the tail piece to the shank. Without that washer, that connection will always leak, and my guess is you're missing that washer.

Ie: If this looks like what you're using, note the "Beer Washer".
beerlineSHANKkit.jpg

As for the beer: as long as the seals and poppets on your keg are tight, you could leave the gas disconnected for quite a long time without it going flat...

Cheers!

Back