Kegco pop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a Kegco kegerator? I have a Kegco 2 tap from Beverage Factory. I am still troubleshooting a co2 leak, but my main concern is a loud pop every now and then. It sounds like a bullet. I can hear it two floors away (basement to upstairs bedrooms). This doesn't seem right, so I called the company and they said they all do that. This thing is sitting right next to my couch and I jump every time it pops (scarring the $%!# out of me). Do they all do this? I like the size of the unit and it was on sale, but if I knew it would sound like this I might have went the home built route.

I bought a Kegco dual tap kegerator about 6 months ago. I have never heard a pop. Only noise I can hear is when the compressor kicks on which is no louder than a refrigerator. Are you able to tell where the pop is coming from? Is it coming from inside the unit, outside towards the compressor? That's strange they said they all do this.
For your Co2 leak do you have a washer where the tank connects to the regulator? Have you sprayed water and star-san solution on all connects to see if you can tell if any bubbles are made? If you see bubbles then that is your leak. I had issues where the ball locks where connecting to the gas and liquid hoses.

I fired the last guy that told me "They all do that".

Double check the power cord is solidly plugged into the outlet to eliminate arcing as the source of the "pop". The only other thing I can think of that might fit would be a compressor that isn't securely bolted tight to the chassis might make a banging noise from torque twist when it kicks on...

Cheers!

image-2590857117.jpg

Attachments

• image-1914055806.jpg
    image-1914055806.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 862
Here is my kegco dual tap. I also purchased from bev factory in SD. My wife has heard the "poping" noise in the middle of the night. I myself have not. She said it sounded like it has coming from the inside almost as if the keg was expanding. These are her words of course and she was a bit worried about the keg blowing up. Ha. I have been trying to listen but have not heard it myself.

Has anyone bought a Kegco kegerator? I have a Kegco 2 tap from Beverage Factory. I am still troubleshooting a co2 leak, but my main concern is a loud pop every now and then. It sounds like a bullet. I can hear it two floors away (basement to upstairs bedrooms). This doesn't seem right, so I called the company and they said they all do that. This thing is sitting right next to my couch and I jump every time it pops (scarring the $%!# out of me). Do they all do this? I like the size of the unit and it was on sale, but if I knew it would sound like this I might have went the home built route.

Mine does it too. I think it's ice build up on the evaporator in the back. After I read that, I opened my door up and saw a lot of ice build up on it. I removed the ice and the popping sound went away. Give it a try.

I recently purchased a used Avanti kegerator and after a few weeks of running I noticed the popping. It seems to happen when I lower the temp to 40 or below. It doesn't do it consistently but when it does do it, it's certainly loud. Last night it was really active. Today and this evening, not a peep.

My first thought on CO2 leak and pop noise is that you possibly have regulator creep where the pressure starts climbing then pops the pressure relief valve. you would notice this by overcarbed/foamy as all heck beer and a high reading on the gauge. Not to mention serving speed. No appliance should be 2 floors away loud, except for maybe speakers.

It seems to happen when I lower the temp to 40 or below. It doesn't do it consistently but when it does do it, it's certainly loud.
Thats the one. Mine really hasn't gotten below 40, seems mid to low 40's is its lower range.

No appliance should be 2 floors away loud, except for maybe speakers.
Exactly. Thats why I posted the question. I can understand Beverage Factory sales clod saying they all do that, they made their sale. He said it was because it uses smaller something or other <insert techno jargon here>. The two questions I had were: how come my other small fridge freezers do that and why would you sell something that knowingly behaves that way.

An update: mine had temp issues as well. There was only about a 10 degree range. Contacted Bev Factory and went through the QnA. They said there is probably something wrong with it and started the replacement process. I have not dealt with them before, but I like the fact that they stand behind their sales expecially something that large (shipped to me). They said it had to do with small capilary tubes or something. I was really sweatting the unit because of the cost. I will see what the next one does. I am not sure if the loud popping was ice, but I will check that as well. I am really looking forward to getting this working correctly. I have a few batches almost ready to keg. I just moved up to AG and am still getting my process down but it is going to really set off my media room. Might even have to get a few beer lights to go around that area toreally set it off properly. Thanks to all with the suggestions. Feel better now:)

I'm having the same problem. I emailed KegCo and Katie from the Bev Factory replied with:
"Hi David,

Kegco forwarded us over a message to you and asked that we contact you back regarding the sounds that the unit makes. Popping and crackling sounds are caused by the flow of the refrigerant moving from the Capillary to evaporator. Because the diameter of Capillary is less than the one of evaporator it can cause the unit to make a popping and crackling sound as the refrigerant flows. As long as your unit is cooling properly, this sound is nothing to be alarmed of. Please rest assured that if anything does go wrong with your kegerator within Kegco's 1-year warranty, Beverage Factory will be able to assist you with service. If any questions, please let us know.

Best Wishes,

Katie Teall
Marketing and Public Relations
Beverage Factory
8060 Arjons Dr.
San Diego, CA 92126
Phone: (800) 710-9939 "
never
At the time I felt better, but now I'm starting to wonder. It is located next to the sofa in my living room and scares the crap out of my wife and dog every time. It's quite loud so you never really get used to it. I checked all of the things posted in the thread and none seem to apply.
Starting to think maybe I should be pushing for a replacement...
:(

Bigskooter, looks like you have the K309B. It's been 6 months since this post, how do you like it?

Just got the kegco dual tap (model K199B). This thing is junk. Pops at least once an hour, and is driving me crazy. Beverage factory states the same as previous posters have said, and that it is "normal." Im trying to send it back, and maybe get a different model. I do not recommend the K199B, sounds like the higher end kegco models are quieter.

I've got the Kegco 199SS. Had it since Christmas 2012. I get those pops as well. First time it happened, I thought some line busted in the kegerator. I backed off the temp a little bit and that helped. I couldn't tell if it was from ice forming and then cracking or if it was from expansion and contraction of the plastic in the kegerator. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it but it is annoying. I can't hear it in any other room in my house so I guess from that standpoint, it isn't too much of a nuisance.

One thing I noticed is that when I have 2 kegs in it, it does it much less frequently.

Trying to return the k199b to beverage factory, but they want me to pay for shipping for a faulty item. I would not recommend this fridge, its loud and obnoxious. Interesting too, when i try to write a review on the beverage factory website about the noise, it never posts. Its like they keep that info from you cause they know once you have it, your stuck with it, unless you want to pay the 100 dollar shipping. Frustrating. Shouldn't they be responsible for the return shipping?

I have the Kegco k199b and that popping noise drove me crazy for a number of months. I upgraded the thermostat and added circulation fans to solve temperature and foaming issues, but still had the popping. Last week I installed standoffs for the chiller plate and it doesn't make a peep any longer. I simply unscrewed the plate and put nylon nuts, maybe 1/4 in thick between the cold plate and the back of the fridge, threaded the existing mounting screw through the nut and tightened down. The extra space allows my cold plate to do its expanding and contracting thing without sticking to the back wall and it seems to be happy now. It only took a few minutes and made quite a difference. Hopefully this helps some of you kegco owners out there. :mug:

I have the Kegco k199b and that popping noise drove me crazy for a number of months. I upgraded the thermostat and added circulation fans to solve temperature and foaming issues, but still had the popping. Last week I installed standoffs for the chiller plate and it doesn't make a peep any longer. I simply unscrewed the plate and put nylon nuts, maybe 1/4 in thick between the cold plate and the back of the fridge, threaded the existing mounting screw through the nut and tightened down. The extra space allows my cold plate to do its expanding and contracting thing without sticking to the back wall and it seems to be happy now. It only took a few minutes and made quite a difference. Hopefully this helps some of you kegco owners out there. :mug:

Coyn, thank you for posting your fix! My K199 has been making scarily loud popping sounds since the day after I first plugged it in. I installed four 1/4" nylon washers as you suggested, and have had silence for a week now. I no longer have to worry about guests at my house getting scared and asking, "What was that!?" The popping would resonate throughout my whole house. Thank you again!

I think I used 1/4"-20 nylon hex nuts. Mcmaster part # 94812A700. Though I think a box of 100 is a bit excessive. You could probably use zinc plated or SS 1/4"-20 hexnuts or even a stack of washers.

Has anyone had this issue with the 309? I'm looking to buy one when we move in August.

Mine does the same thing. It's only a couple of weeks old and when I called, tech support said that it was a refrigerant valve cycling and that it was not only common but harmless. When I first plugged mine in, I had the temp set at mid scale for a day or 2 to get an idea of the range - turned out to be 42 degrees. There was no poping. Then I cranked it to "full cold" the unit went down to 33 degrees and the poping started. I currently have it at 38 degrees and it still pops but the Sam Adams winter lager in there is just so good at 38.

I have the 309 for 3 months now and have it set to 36 degrees, not even once have a heard this reported loud popping noise though I have read the reports. I only hear the light hum when the compressor kicks in to cool and the hum is a little better louder, but still nowhere near disturbing, when the fan is also running.

Rev.

I pulled the screws out of the cold plate and haven't heard it since. That was several months ago. One of these days I'll actually replace the screws (with longer screws) and add a nylon or rubber spacer. My kegerator is an Avanti, not Kegco so I don't know how the designs compare but it sure was popping before the "fix".

Latest posts

Back