Keezer collar too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I am going to be converting my 5.1 cu ft chest freezer into a freezer shortly. Right now without a collar, I can fit two kegs and a CO2 tank. But I planned on building a 12" oak or poplar collar so I can fit four 5 gallon kegs and then I would run the CO2 tank through the back. But the way my freezer is set up, I would need to use 1.5" thick wood. I am worried a 1.5"x12" collar would be too structurally unstable. Do I have anything to worry about?

How about a skin of thinner wood inside and outside with insulation foam between?

Would I be able to attach this apparatus to the lid so I can lift the collar with the lid? I'm kind of short (5'6") and would prefer to have the collar attached to the lid, so I don't have to try to retrieve full corny kegs from a freezer that is 4' deep.

I don't foresee a 1.5" x 12" collar being unstable. If anything, it's more stable than something that is shorter.

Would I be able to attach this apparatus to the lid so I can lift the collar with the lid? I'm kind of short (5'6") and would prefer to have the collar attached to the lid, so I don't have to try to retrieve full corny kegs from a freezer that is 4' deep.

Anything is possible, but with the collar attached to the lid it will be quite heavy and possibly too much for the hinge springs to handle. You'd also have to watch for clearance behind the freezer. Adding height to the lid will increase the required clearance for it to open.

I'd suggest getting a foot-stool.

Latest posts

Back