How much beer is in my keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
I want a better way to determine how much beer is in my keg at any given time. One theory I have is weight, put an analog scale under the keg, subtract the empty weight and I know how much weight of liquid I have but that doesnt seem very accurate because I am under the impression that different beers weigh different amounts in the same volume(correct me if I'm wrong here).

I tried to use a wall stud finder but the metal keg just sets it off all the time. Anyone know of a device like a stud finder that would tell me when I cross the liquid line but not be affected by metal?

I know this is excessive because I can usually just look at the condensation on the outside and see where the liquid stops and judge that way but I want a more exact way. Does anything already exist to do this?

One theory I have is weight, put an analog scale under the keg, subtract the empty weight and I know how much weight of liquid I have but that doesnt seem very accurate because I am under the impression that different beers weigh different amounts in the same volume(correct me if I'm wrong here).

Weight is probably a good way, provided you get a scale that can handle condensation and whatnot. Beers might weigh different amounts (though probably not by much), but you'd more likely have an issue due to slightly different batch sizes. Shouldn't be a problem though - just note the weight (minus the keg's weight) when you first tap the full keg and you're set. Compare the current weight to the original and you know how much beer you've got left.

The weight of beer is equal to the weight of water multiplied by the specific gravity.
As the specific gravity does not vary much for a finished beer, weight is fine.

-a.

Open the door for a minute and see where the condensation stops forming- that's your current levels ;-)

"Open the door for a minute and see where the condensation stops forming- that's your current levels ;-)"

this works nice....ill just pull my keg out for a few minutes and you will see a nice little line on your keg exactly where the liquid level is. its bulletproof!!

Best of all, it's free and you don't have to wait for anything to be delivered! A lot of people are turning to scales and such but this is by far the easiest and most practical. Cheers!

I've done the condensation thing before, and it does work fine. However I prefer to not disturb my kegs unless I really need to.

I was looking for something that is reusable. I know they say the strips can be reused a few times, but I can't imagine they last two long.

If I were to buy one of those for each of my kegs, and leave it on for good, it will get expensive for those pretty quick.

Anone else something besides the condensation, scale, or the strips. I know each of those work, they just aren't what I'm looking for.

I don't bother pulling my kegs out usually, just dial down the thermostat temporarily. I only use this method on occasion, most of the time I just do the old stud finding method- tap/flick and listen for the sound difference. Not as accurate, but good quick gauge (Wow I drank that much last night? Well that explains somethings...)

Back