The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Gushers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
covered95
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gushers

Ok so I did a search and couldn't find an answer to my problem. I bottled a molasses honey porter two weeks ago. I don't remember the final gravity but I did take readings on two consecutive days and there was no change so I figured it was time to bottle. I boiled 3/4 cup priming sugar (corn variety is that DME) in a pint of water. I added it to the bottling bucket and then syphoned in the beer to ensure good mixture of the sugar. I then bottled in 16oz flip top bottles. I have had two today (they are great!) but both have been gushers. I had a 12oz bottle last week and no gushing. They have been stored at 68 degrees for two weeks and then refrigerated for a few hours to get them to a drinkable temp (though not cold enough in my book). I have read that it is best to let them chill for several days so that the CO2 will absorb. Is this all I have to do here? How can I avoid the gushers? I am greatly concerned because everytime I open a pint I lose about 4oz of great beer. This is my first batch and I am thrilled at how good it is and want to drink as much as possible. Thanks for the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
ScoutMan

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could be several issues here. Molasses and honey can both take a long time to ferment. Although you had no gravity change over two days, you may still be getting a little fermentation from the honey and molasses. Secondly, it "might" be some sort of infection. Sanitation is key. Bottles, caps, cappers, anything that may come into contact with your brew must be sanitized. I would bet on ongoing fermentation however. Keeping them really cold will help some as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I see a ripped bag in your future BM :)

Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

yup, probably bottled just a bit to early. Get them as cold as ya can is about all you can do now . . . chalk it up for experiance

Quick Reply