Foamy pours from sankey kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wowbeeryum

Reaction score
I converted a fridge into a 3 tap kegerator. Homebrew pours from them just fine, but for commercial kegs each opening of the faucet results in sort of a puff of foam followed by normal flowing beer. It doesn't completely ruin the pour, the glass isn't all foam, but you get more foam than you'd like.

I'm on my 3rd sankey keg, which I purchase if my pipeline is low, and this has happened every time. It is obvious that the CO2 is coming out of suspension and building up in the beer line, I can see it in the fridge.

I believe the problem starts with the commercial kegs being more carbonated than my homebrew. Anything I can do to change that? I have 10 feet of beer line and typically have the regulator set at 8 to 10 psi. I've turned the gas up to 12-14 psi and that seems to stop the CO2 from forming in the lines but I still have foamy pours from the beer being dispensed too quickly. I always release the pressure on the keg prior to hooking everything up. This current keg has been in use for a few weeks now at 8 psi and still does it.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the taps are warm. Most kegerators do not have a way to keep the taps cold. I bought a small computer fan to blow the cold fridge air up into the taps. This helps a lot. For me it isn't perfect but the foam has subsided to almost normal.

The taps are indeed warm as the kegerator is kept in the garage. However, this specific problem is limited to sankey kegs. Yes, I get a little more foam on my first pour of the day from the pinlocks but after that it's smooth sailing. With the sankey keg it's a puff/burst of foam, like no beer comes out, it stutters for a second and just foam, if you wait even a minute or two between pours. The CO2 visibly comes out of solution and builds in the lines. I don't get that with the pinlocks.

I have a Sankey keg setup and commercial beer, especially light beer needs to be both cold and at pretty high pressure. The crappier the beer the colder it needs to be. 35F for light beers and 18-20 pounds of pressure. Until I heeded this advice all I got was pure foam. What i'm not sure about is the pressure...I use nitrogen/Co2 through a gas blender so it may need to be higher than straight Co2 but regardless it can't hurt to try. 34-37 at the keg and raise the pressure. Also open the tap quick as you can. A slow pull can sometimes cause foam at the start.

The obvious answer is your existing beer line length was just long enough to dispense your less effervescent home brew, but now that you figured out the only way to keep the commercial beer at its factory-fresh carbonation level was to turn up the CO2 pressure, your line length is too short to provide the required resistance to keep the CO2 from bursting out of solution.

1 foot of 3/16" ID beer line per psi carbonation/dispensing pressure at the operating temperature is a pretty safe rule of thumb. Or you can go here and plug your numbers into the only beer line length calculator worth using and follow its recommended length...

Cheers!

Most likely beer line length... you can calculate on that link posted above then with the existing slack simply wrap it up and wire tie the tubing all nice looking.

Back