Do I need a floor capper for wine corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I don't wana go out and spend 50$ on a floor capper for 30 bottels on wine, Is there any other way?

I have a hand plunger style, with tighter/larger corks I have to use a rubber mallet to drive them in, I've done many bottles with it and have no intentions of buying a floor corker. I'm thinking I paid 10 bucks for it, and it seems faster and easier than a floor style. I soak my corks in Star San or water for a few minutes before I cork the bottles. I use #9 corks usually.

I'm sure many others will disagree with me about this, but I only do 5-15 bottles at a time and only every so many months, decided to buy the hand plunger style for temporary, and was much happier with it than I thought I would be.

Just bottled this perry with it matter of fact; if I had seen your post before I sat down I would have posted a video.

Sorry for boasting in your thread OP, but this is the first wine I made that I pressed my own fruit for so I'm really happy! What are you bottling anyway?

Im an bottling extreamly high prof apple wine, 16%. Tastes great tho! I have 5 gallons oak aging now since its been racked 3 times. I also have 30 + liqour bottles ( rum, whisky, tequila, ect ) on hand, All screw tops tho.

I have a hand plunger style, with tighter/larger corks I have to use a rubber mallet to drive them in, I've done many bottles with it and have no intentions of buying a floor corker. I'm thinking I paid 10 bucks for it, and it seems faster and easier than a floor style. I soak my corks in Star San or water for a few minutes before I cork the bottles. I use #9 corks usually.

I'm sure many others will disagree with me about this, but I only do 5-15 bottles at a time and only every so many months, decided to buy the hand plunger style for temporary, and was much happier with it than I thought I would be.

Just bottled this perry with it matter of fact; if I had seen your post before I sat down I would have posted a video.

Sorry for boasting in your thread OP, but this is the first wine I made that I pressed my own fruit for so I'm really happy! What are you bottling anyway?

That $10 hand plunger w/rubber mallet works great for us. We have done several hundred bottles (natural and synthetic corks) without any issues.

YES.

Just the work it will save is worthit on 1 batch.

1 broken bottle and 15 or so mangled corks is a distinct possibility.

I have a single lever hand corker. It can be quite the forearm workout for 5 gallons.

Also, I've read you shouldn't use synthetic corks with hand corkers.

I don't make that much wine but for the times I do...the floor corker is the best investment I've ever made for wine making

I heard wine needs to breath so i was trying to avoid the screw tops. But if im looking at spending 50$ for a floor capper, 30 $ for the bottles and 5$ for corks on wine that costed me 30$ i might just throw em in the free screw tops. Maybe ill collect some bottles of wine at work in the mean time.

I don't plan to make more wine. My dad's the wine maker.

Latest posts

Back