Clear beer lines between services

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the question, are you asking if folks clean their lines between kegs? I have to admit from time to time I will go straight from a kicked keg to a new one if it's ready (definitely if I have 2 kegs of the same beer). In general I try to run some beer line cleaner through after finishing a keg. It's pretty easy since I have a DIY beer line cleaner. I'd probably recommend cleaning them at some point. ;)

Everything will taste like Coors light from then on out if you don't!

^^^smart-ass answer because I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean cleaning the lines between kegs? Yes...a must for me. Just a way to ensure a good tasting product. Did you mean switch to clear beer lines instead of colored ones? That sounds nuts. Did you mean to empty beer lines whenever they're unhooked for whatever reason? Sure. Not imperative, but sure. It'll help with the 'burps' and foam when you start flowing again.

I just run starsan through most of the time when a keg kicks. mix starsan in a keg, hook up keg to CO2 and tap and open up tap. Every few kegs, I will run PBW through, then hot water, then starsan. Once a year, I replace the beer lines and completely disassemble and clean my taps. I've never had a problem yet.

I take that back, I did have an aftertaste on all of my beers for a period of time and could not figure out what it was. I assumed chloramine which my water company just started using. I added 1/2 a Camden tablet t my mash/sparge water, but the flavor was still there. I finally figured out it was the beer tap brushes I would religiously put in the taps after each use. I dipped them in starsan and stuck into the taps thinking they would prevent anything from growing in the tap. One night I forgot to put them back in the tap. The next night, I poured a beer and the flavor was gone. Since then, I never put the brushes in the taps and have never tasted the off flavor again.

klp200-fctcapbrush-b4_4.jpg

I just run starsan through most of the time when a keg kicks. mix starsan in a keg, hook up keg to CO2 and tap and open up tap. Every few kegs, I will run PBW through, then hot water, then starsan. Once a year, I replace the beer lines and completely disassemble and clean my taps. I've never had a problem yet.

I take that back, I did have an aftertaste on all of my beers for a period of time and could not figure out what it was. I assumed chloramine which my water company just started using. I added 1/2 a Camden tablet t my mash/sparge water, but the flavor was still there. I finally figured out it was the beer tap brushes I would religiously put in the taps after each use. I dipped them in starsan and stuck into the taps thinking they would prevent anything from growing in the tap. One night I forgot to put them back in the tap. The next night, I poured a beer and the flavor was gone. Since then, I never put the brushes in the taps and have never tasted the off flavor again.

Off topic...What do you use now, if anything? For capping faucets.

Never was a fan of those brushes, just figured all those bristles harboring old beer couldn't be good in the long run.

I use these. Cheap, easy to rinse out every few days, and fruit flies can't deal with 'em.

31Qw0%2BMbEvL.jpg

As for the beer lines, I usually clean all the lines at once every few weeks, but I'll flush out the line when switching kegs...

Cheers!

I clean my lines and tap connection between kegs. I get rid of the yeast that is at the tap connection and clean the beer lines of any residual yeast, beer, and beerstone.

I didn't one time and was wondering why the beer tasted different. Then I took off the tap
and noticed all the yeast causing the weird flavors.

Back