The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chest Freezer Size for soda kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Chest Freezer Size for soda kegs

I have a chance to score a chest freezer for $50.00

What are critical dimensions if I want 2 cornelius kegs ?

I do not want to deal with collar etc...

Thanks !

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Pinlocks are about 9" in diameter and ball locks are 8.25" in diameter. Most chest freezers are tall enough to accomodate either (about 24" including the disconnects).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Got the measurements, and yes it will certainly be big enought for 5-6 cornys !

Now must start collecting cornys ..

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 07-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry to report-

The new chest freezer will actually be used for food ! I have thought about it, and decided to get a **smaller* unit once I start kegging ...

That won't be for at least 6 months ... still getting to know PM brewing, so one thing at a time...

I suppose I can always seize the huge chest freezer once kegging multiple batches becomes a reality (and when we don't need to eat anymore !)

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
dcunitedfan
Recipes 

Whatever chest freezer you decide on, the critical dimension is the area of the floor of the freezer compartment (the part not occupied by the compressor shelf). I've found that most smaller freezers have a interior front-to-back distance that is slightly too short to fit 2 kegs front to back with perfect alignment. That means that you end up having to stagger them slightly. Just an example of what you have to consider - bottom line is always measure the interior dimensions first, then work out how many kegs that will fit from there.

Also you can consider using the smaller (2.5 or 3 gallon) kegs on the compressor shelf - these are more expensive since they are less common, so you might not choose to spend the extra money to squeeze one more batch into your system. Right now I'm using the shelf on mine for the CO2 tank, a 6 pack or two, and some damp-rid. I have enough room for 3 full size kegs and someday when I'm done buying other brewing equipment I plan to pick up a pair of short kegs myself to get that 4th tap online

Finally, if you look around these forums or teh interweb, you'll see references to collars on kegerators. Very useful to build one a) because you might not have enough vertical clearance for the kegs as is, adding a collar lifts the lid off a few inches, b) you can easily drill your tap holes through the collar, avoiding the risk of hitting a coolant line in the wall of the freezer, not to mention being a good place to attach manifolds or regulator assemblies, and c) you can always remove the collar and turn it back into a freezer later on if need be.

Quick Reply