c02 tank questions-- 5 or 10 lbs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoneedsabeer

Reaction score
How many corny kegs can you go though before you need your 5 lb bottle filled?

Is it worth it to spend the extra $$$ on the 10 lb?

I found a guy selling 5lb steel tanks for $60, and since most places just exchange the 5 lb tanks, I'm thinking it's a pretty good deal.

Thanks!
Jay

I can't answer your initial question. However, rebelbrewer.com is selling reconditioned 10# steel cylinders for $65. You might want to check it out.

Neither! Go for a 20 lb tank. It costs about the same to refill or swap as a 5 or 10 lb tank. I have a 5 lb, had a 15 lb. Between the time it takes to go the the shop, the gasoline you'll use, a 20 lb tank is the only way to go for forced carbonation. 5 lb tanks are nice to have around if you want to take your keg to a party and use it for dispensing but that's about it.

Buy Cheap and Buy Twice ! :mug: Or buy the good stuff and be done!

I'm sold on 20lb tanks. I live in the boonies so exchanging or filling is a real PITA and a 20lb is almost the same cost to fill as a 5 or 10lb. My welding gas supplier keeps 20lb tanks on his truck all the time so I don't have to call ahead to have them throw on a baby tank for the exchange. Also with a bigger bottle you don't mind pulling the release valve an extra time to purge a freshly filled keg.

If you do buy a tank you will not get your specific tank back if you do an exchange to have it filled so don't worry about steel vs aluminum or picking a color. The exchange tank will probably be well worn and beat up. If you want to keep your sexy, shiney new cylinder plan on taking it someplace that will fill it while you wait. If you drop off your tank for filling you can put your name on it and there is a good chance you will get your tank back.

yeah, the gas is cheap. on a fill you are mostly paying for the labor, so go larger if you can. but a 5 pounder will still give you some good fills. full disclosure, i have one of each. i like that even betterer.

Back