Breweries who use heavy duty bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Those who saw my thread in the fermentation forum know I'll be brewing an Orval clone soon. It carbonates almost twice my normal beers. To buy enough bottles online it'd be like $100. To drink enough Orval it'd be like $200.

Does anyone know any brands that can handle nice high pressures? I've always felt the Bud American Ale Bottles seem really heavy.

Well, seeing as how it was just NYE, you could ask neighbors/friends for champagne bottles. Brands like Korbel can accept normal crown caps.

most all of the Belgians are highly carbonated and use very think bottles.

A keg would make like much easier.

I use Samuel smith's Victorian bottles for my Belgians. I got up to about 4 cols co2 without problems. I think they are about 18-19 oz.

Yeah but regular bottles will start to explode with greater than about 3 volumes of CO2. The cap may be intact, but the rest will not be, for the OP's purpose.

The whole point of the ez caps/grolsch bottles is that before the bottle explodes the seal will release some pressure. I don't know if I've carbed them up to 3 volumes (I keg these days and bottle a few with Cooper sugar tabs), but I have read about people using them at higher volumes. They are definitely thicker glass than most bottles (about on par with the Russian River/Lost Abbey bottles).

I also have an orval(ish) clone going, but I do not like such high carbonation.

I am curious as to what Brett you are going to use.

Back