Air in my Beer Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannoSpeaks

Reaction score
I seem to have an over-foaming issue. I have my keg sitting at about 12 psi, and when I want to pour a few beers, I turn it down to about 3 psi and bleed the keg to reduce pressue. I've notice the there are a lot of bubbles in my beer supply line. Does anyone know what would cause this? The lines are 6 ft long and the fridge is kept at about 33 F.

The CO2 in the beer is trying to equalize with pressure in the keg. You bleed the CO2 out of the keg and caused the pressure difference. You may want to look into using longer beer lines to increase the resistance. That way you can keep the 12 psi and serve at the same pressure.

The CO2 in the beer is trying to equalize with pressure in the keg. You bleed the CO2 out of the keg and caused the pressure difference. You may want to look into using longer beer lines to increase the resistance. That way you can keep the 12 psi and serve at the same pressure.

Thank you very much! I'll try that out.

Absolutely- this happened to me after I did the shake method of carbing- my keg was overpressurized compared to what my regulator was set at, and trying to serve like that was a nightmare. There's tons of posts on proper beer length line, but I agree with the guys that say longer is better- I have 8' on mine and it pours perfectly now at 12 psi.

but I agree with the guys that say longer is better

like everything in life, 'too much' can be just as bad as 'not enough' (male anatomy included).

you want the correct amount. 3/16" line has about 2-3 psi of resistance per foot. so if you want to serve at 12psi, you need around 6 feet (the actual brand of hose you buy, and its actual resistance, varys depending on the material and surface roughness, and any bends in the tubing). i would try 8 or 9 feet, if that doesnt work cut a foot at a time off and try again untill you get good results.

for longer runs, 1/4" tubing has around 0.8 - 1.0 PSI/ft of resistance.

for very long runs, 5/16" tubing has half of that (0.3-0.4 PSI/ft).

Back