What should i get ready after primary fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I got somthing in the state of primary fermenting. I was hoping for somthing Abit sweet. Can i just bottle it after primary or so i have to stop the fermenting? And is it safe to bottle in used beer bottles with the regular tops. And i guess using 750 whisky bottles are out of the question cAuse they can blow?

For your safety and everyone elses you need to wait until fermentation is complete in the primary before bottling. If the fermentation completes in the bottle excessive pressures will develop in the weeks of bottle conditioning. The bottles can explode.

Hydrometer readings are the only way to know when fermentation is complete. Three Specific Gravity readings which are the same over a period of three days means Final Gravity has been reached.

I usually wait two weeks before I take the first SG reading.

I have purchased very few bottles that did not come filled with beer. Any beer bottle that had a pry off cap can be reused. Twist offs will not seal well.

Most beers can finish sweet by adding lactose to the recipe. Lactose is not fully fermentable and is sweet. Final gravity will be higher with the use of lactose, but at the same time fermentation will have been completed.

Here is a link to Palmers old book. You will find answers to a lot of your questions that will come up.
http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Happy brewing.

For your safety and everyone elses you need to wait until fermentation is complete in the primary before bottling. If the fermentation completes in the bottle excessive pressures will develop in the weeks of bottle conditioning. The bottles can explode.

Hydrometer readings are the only way to know when fermentation is complete. Three Specific Gravity readings which are the same over a period of three days means Final Gravity has been reached.

I usually wait two weeks before I take the first SG reading.

I have purchased very few bottles that did not come filled with beer. Any beer bottle that had a pry off cap can be reused. Twist offs will not seal well.

Most beers can finish sweet by adding lactose to the recipe. Lactose is not fully fermentable and is sweet. Final gravity will be higher with the use of lactose, but at the same time fermentation will have been completed.

Here is a link to Palmers old book. You will find answers to a lot of your questions that will come up.
http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Happy brewing.

My apple sider stoped bubling tonight inside the pale, its been 4 days, its this normal? I used levlin yeast.

Four days seems a little short. It does depend on original gravity and temperature though.
Take a hydrometer reading to see where you are at and how it tastes. The yeast could have eaten their way through most of the sugars leaving little residual sweetness.
If there is very little sweet left you could back sweeten and naturally carb. Opening one bottle every day to check the level of carbonation. When it is sufficiently carbed, not any where near blowing a bottle, pasteurize at 190° to stop the yeast.
I'm not familiar with pasteurization. I have let my cider go all the way to dry. Pasteurization would take someone elses help.

What does your hydrometer read?
I pasteurize all the time, it's pretty easy.

I don't have a metter yet, I had to order it in and am waiting on it. I was under the impression the less i open it the better so i was planning not even to test and wait 3 weeks. I was only going to test in the begining, but i now see why it is important to have one lol...

When i gently swish it the bubbles kick up like crazy!

my basement where it was got very cold tho due to a cold night, the basment I belive hit at low at 14-16 degrees or 60 ferenhite so i brought it upstairs were its 19 degress celcius.

I use 1 kg of sugar with 3/4 pack of yeast and nutrients and super.. somthing that was in the nutrients. Is was bubbling good for 2 days then whent flat, the other 2 smaller ones with lots of sugar 2 cups each for 2 L are all still bubbling away tho, wierd.... But good since my 20$ i spend on juice sugar and yeast atlest has somthing come out of it if the big ones goes bad.

Back