tea bags in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roymullins

Reaction score
tossed a couple of black tea bags into a primary fermenter tonight- thought it would add a little tannin I guess... my questions is... should I get those out of there after a day or two or is it OK to let them sit for a week or more until I rack into secondary? any thoughts?

When using tea for tannins, it's usually made into a strong tea with water, the tea leaves or teabag is discarded & the remaining liquid is added to the wort/must.
I think I'd pull those teabags out.
Regards, GF.

I never put mine in the fermenter. The bags might start to add some funky flavors if left in there. But the black tea does add a nice flavor to the cider. I used 6 bags of black tea steeped in 3 cups of boiling water over night and dumped the tea only into my primary.

plucked them out today... then sucked on them...! apple juice, brown sugar, fresh ginger and some working yeast...! it is gonna be gooooood... thanks for the advice!

When using tea for tannins, it's usually made into a strong tea with water, the tea leaves or teabag is discarded & the remaining liquid is added to the wort/must.
I think I'd pull those teabags out.
Regards, GF.

I'll second that. Have made strong tea water and included it in my primary. Also a perfect time to thin some honey or disolve some sugar in that hot tea water. I did like the effect that adding some tea water had with plain ole storebought juice. Actually liked it so much that I overdid it once;) Jkoegel suggestion of 6 is perfect.

Slight hijack here but is it possible to add the tea mixture into the secondary? I'm brewing 3 gallons of peach cider then breaking them up into 3 1 gallon test batches. One as the control (just plain straight up hard peach cider) the second I plan on racking on nutmeg, cinnamon and a dab of molasses and the third I think I'm gonna try for a sweet peach tea.

Slight hijack here but is it possible to add the tea mixture into the secondary? I'm brewing 3 gallons of peach cider then breaking them up into 3 1 gallon test batches. One as the control (just plain straight up hard peach cider) the second I plan on racking on nutmeg, cinnamon and a dab of molasses and the third I think I'm gonna try for a sweet peach tea.

I would go with it. Sounds really good! Might even be better than putting it in the primary...I wouldn't know. Please follow up and let us know how things turn out. I usually add stuff that I want to still taste (in my final product) into the secondary so you have the right idea. I like your approach because you're trying 3 different "experiments" with the same batch;) That's what I like to do and that's how we figure out what we like. Keep us posted. Cheers!

I don't expect any real results until fall. I plan on doing a nice long age and condition on these girls. That and it's mostly for my wife. She's the peach fan but she can't drink as of yet (breast feeding) so it'll be a present for when she can partake.

Back