Removing Preservatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUCC98

Reaction score
Since it's apple season, most of the cider available now is mostly preservative free. However, if you were to come across some cider that has preservatives, has anyone ever heard of a way to remove them? The best I could find was information relating to removing preservatives and/or colorants from ham. Might not be the exact same thing, but the article states that:

Hams contain chemical preservatives and colorants which can be removed by soaking in hot water at 80C (176F) for 1 minute. Over 80% of the additives can be removed.

Any thoughts on this? Just was thinking of maybe just boiling the cider for about 1/2 hour...let it sit for 24 hours, then pitching the yeast...the biggest advantage to this would be the ability to easily make hard cider in the off season.

I'd like to bump this thread cause I've got 3 gallons of cider sitting in a carboy that wont ferment. I didn't know about the preservatives, and their role preventing fermentation. I'd like to figure out if it's a complete waste or if I can salvage it somehow. Is this boiling possible?

boiling it won't do anything except set the pectin (making it hazy forevermore, no flavor change). The deal with the ham is that the persevatives are being carried away and disolved into the hot water. Your cider is not a solid object like the ham, the perservatives are within the solution and there is not a resonable way to get them out.

If you're dead set on using this juice to make cider you'll have to blend it with a much, much, larger volume of persevative free cider. But if you were willing to go that far why not just start over. Use your presevative juice for something else.

Latest posts

Back