Post from Gluten Free forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollby

Reaction score
I was told that this may do better reply info here verses the GF section since more of a cider/wine than a beer

Working with a guy from another brew site (thanks swenocha) I am looking at making this for my wife who 3 years ago was found to have Celiac.

Ingredients:

1/2# GF Maltodextrin (Boil 5.0 min
1/4# Lactose
Lemonade 4.00 unit, Additive, 4 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate
1/3 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) or Corn (dextrose)
1 Pkg Red Star Champagne Yeast

Directions:

- Boil a couple cups of water with the maltodextrine and sugar to dissolve.
- Add water to sanitized fermenter.
- Add frozen concentrate (if not pulp free strain first with sanitized strainer)
- Add Sugar water to fermenter
- Top off to top of 'Q' (Mr. Beer Keg)
- Stir well, pitch yeast wait 5 min, stir-stir-stir
- seal and wait 14-21days

** Makes 2.5 Gallons **

The lemonade has approx 2.25 lb Corn Sugar , according to swenocha who made this but he used non-GF yeast, had left over MR. Beer booster (not GF and is about 80% sugar of the 1# weight) and also used Xylitol because his wife is Lactose intolerant.

He said that batch priming with approx 1.5oz sugar gave nice light carb

This Recipe will not ferment very well, it's missing some of the nutrients yeast need to produce Co2 and reproduce. I have made lots of very hard lemonade and this is the problem, you need to add something like malt or dead yeast cells to get the fermentation going. If your going GF Free maybe add some sorghum extract.

I thought sugar was what the Yeast eats, the recipe is very close to the recipe the guy made and fermented find, he said he light batch primed to keep the carbonation down and I could bump that up for more carbonation slightly.

The yeast should have:

2.25# corn sugar (from lemonade)
1/2# Maltodextrin
1/3# Table sugar (or more corn sugar)

The 1/4# Lactose is Non-fermentable sugar for better mouth feel and smoothing

Staggered nutrient additions similar to a mead I would say. Most nutrient is gluten free I'm pretty sure.

Well got the GF version done in the 6qt Mr. Beer Pilot Keg. I changed up some stuff alittle. Maybe help me see how it looks as far as Hydrometer reading.

Ingredients:

8oz GF Maltodextrin (Boil 5.0 min)
8oz Corn Sugar (Boil 5.0 min)
5oz Lactose
4 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate (strained)
1 Pkg Red Star Champagne Yeast

Directions:

- Boil a 6 cups of water with the maltodextrine and sugar to dissolve.
- After boil add Lactose and place pot in Ice water bath
- Add frozen concentrate to sanitized fermenter.
- Add purified water to 4qt mark
- Add Sugar water to fermenter
- Top off to top of '6' (Mr. Beer Pilot Keg - 6qt)
- Stir well, pitch yeast wait 8 min, stir-stir-stir
- seal and place sanitized fementor lock on top and fill just below line on lock

Now the 14-21 day wait

The only problem was I made the mix a little cooler than I wanted, it was 62* at pitch time, I was shooting for 70*

Original Hydrometer reading 1.102 @ 62*

-- Edit --
Taste of the Hydro sample was sweet and creamy, hope it keeps that in final product

Back