Making another batch of cider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
This time I picked up 6 gallons of cheaper apple cider.

Been bubbling in the primary for a week now.

The last cider I made with organic farm cider.
It has only been a month and a half but the apple flavor either didnt come through or it will overtime....

If I add apple concentrate to the finished product wont that restart a fermentation?

Should I add a campden tablet in after the apple concentrate to stop the fermenting?

I do want it to be sparkling cider so im not sure how to work around this.....:drunk:

Adding concentrate will re-start fermentation. Getting sweet, sparkling cider in bottles is tough, since any fermentable sugar will ferment. Campden and sorbate will stop the ferment, but then no bubbles. About the only thing that works is to use a non-fermentable sweetener and prime before bottling.

I think the dryness also depends on the yeast that u use. For example if u use a champagne yeast you'll get a much dryer cider than if you use an ale yeast. So maybe try and experiment with the yeast u use or find different recipes with different yeasts and see which one suits your taste the best. And what David mentioned is pretty much it. Use something like lactose or Splenda to sweeten if you want bubbles, cos anything else will ferment out, unless you kill the yeast but then you don't get any bubbles.

I used the WYeast Cider yeast. The guy at the store told me thats what id need for a more sweet cider as he said the wine yeasts and champagne are dry.

But I will say in the last few days the taste has more apple now.... :fro:

:off: And boy does it warm the body up. Just like a nice whiskey, im suprised.

Cant taste the alcohol but it must be somewhere near 10% as one and a half of these gets me buzzing good.

This cheap cider im making (I call it ghetto cider) has finally slowed down to 30 BPM.

Its 6 gallons so Ill secondary in another 6.5 carboy, hopefully it should be somewhat drinkable buy christmas...:off:

Latest posts

Back