Extremely slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxNoise

Reaction score
A few months ago I started a 5 gallons batch using Costco brand "fresh pressed" apple juice. I've been experimenting with different yeasts before apple season. For this one I used Nottingham, which came highly recommended by quite a few of you.
It started out pretty good, took a bit longer than I was used to to start fermenting but after awhile it started bubbling away nicely. My initial SG reading was around 1.050.
I racked to secondary after a month and left it alone for another month. The airlock was still bubbling steadily until recently, it slowed down a bit.
So yesterday I went out and did another SG reading. To my surprise it was only at 1.025. The initial taste of the apple juice was still very present. It didn't taste bad, just very sweet and apple juice like.

So I could use some advice, is this normal to ferment this long? I'm used to a much faster ferment than this. Is this common with Notthingham?
Or could it be the apple juice itself that's the problem? I have to admit I didn't pay much attention to the juice content.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Max

What temp are you keeping it at? At 65* F Notty should have gotten that down to 1.010 in 2 weeks max. Maybe the juice you used was stabilized?

It's been pretty hot around here lately. I keep my carboys in the garage where it's cooler but I'm sure it's been over 65 F in there for at least the last month. My past experience with other yeasts was also a couple of weeks to go down to 1.010. It was the first time I used Notty but also the first time I used that Costco juice ...so most likely the juice is at fault.

So if the juice was stabilized then, do I have options? It did ferment a bit so I figure I should be able to save the batch. More yeast maybe?

Did you make a starter, or just throw the packet in? I tend to make starters with any yeasts I use, gets them going faster

No starter. I did rehydrate though but that might not of been enough. Good advice though, next time I'll try a starter.

Back