Peekaboo Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemedes

Reaction score
Is it commen for the krausen in a mead to disappear and reappear?

I've got a 1gal. honey-ginger mead going now about two weaks in and the krausen disapeared after the first 5 days, was still for 3 or 4 days, then reappeared in full force twice as high. Just curious if any one else has had this same experience with any of their meads? And also curious if it happens mulitple times for a single batch?

Well, dunno about the krausen thing........ that's beer, don't make it.

But if you mean variations of foaming, some batches don't produce much, other batches get active enough to start trying to force bits of fruit debris out the air lock...

It can even vary with the same recipe but with different yeast.....

Ok, I thought krausen simply meant, 'Head of foam,' and could be used for any fermentation lingo to refer to the foamy head that forms ontop of the wort during fermentation. :)

Yes, the foam has disappeared and reappeared several times during only two weeks, which I have never had happen with any beer recipes, ever. Just curious if anyone has had the same experience with any mead recipes they have done? :eek:

Slightly off topic, I'm contemplating a ginger mead, may I ask what recipe you are using?

Per ingeredients (honey, ginger, pineapple juice, ale yeast) this is technically a pineapple melomel (a variety of mead) and so I posted my question here. It is an experimental batch, so no real recipe as of yet because I based it on a simple ginger beer recipe that I am fond but have decided to let it ferment out all the way instead of stopping it prematurely. :mug:

Back