ICV K1V-1116 Lees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
I'm estimating that I have a few more days in primary for my 5 gallon batch of Ginger Blood Orange melomel. I've got probably 1/2 to 3/4 in of lees formed on the bottom and I stir it back into solution every day or so. From what I've gathered, some yeast provide positive attributes to the mead when it is left on the lees for a reasonable amount of time, and some varieties provide off flavors. I haven't seen anything specific to ICV K1V-1116 though, and was wondering if anyone has experience to share. Thank you.

No personal experience myself, but, from what I've heard, the only Lalvin yeast that can cause off flavors (because of autolysis) is 71B.

You could let the lees settle out, siphon the clear half into a smaller container, then move the lees half to another small container. That way you could compare the two styles to each other and know the only difference was the lees.

I’ve left a cyser on K1V-1116 for a long time with no ill effects, but I’m not sure that it did anything positive. EC-1118, on the other hand is supposed to impart a nice “nuttyness” when aged on the lees. I do not have actual experience with this, as I prefer to remove the mead from the lees as soon as the yeast have completed their job.

Back