How Hot Have You Gone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgenebrewer

Reaction score
I am working on a very hot, high ABV mead just for ****s and giggles.

I am currently planning on going with Habaneros, anyone have any other suggestion?

Plan on fermenting a 1 gallon batch of 5.6 lbs honey with some EC 1118 and two peppers, then aging on top of two more peppers.

And how hot have you guys gone in the name of science?

I used 3 habaneros in a 1 gallon batch, but I removed the seeds and the white insides. It has a little heat, but more of the habanero flavor. Do you plan on drinking yours or just see how hot you can go? At worst, I bet it would be a good cooking wine.

I was thinking puke inducing hotness. More of a joke than anything. But yes, I hope to have something to force down in shots

In that case, I would make simple chili wine. No sense in wasting precious honey. But I like the idea, go for it - regardless.

well, I want to do a very big mead for it because I want a somewhat sweet delivery followed by liquid fire.

I have chosen scotch bonnets for the job because like their flavor. And they are basically habaneros as far as hotness.

I am afraid that the heat will arrive too early though. Does anyone have experience with working with hot peppers in food? I mainly just use them in BBQ sauce and they work fine their, but in a liquid form would the heat be there from the get go or take a second to develop?

Posting because I want to see where this goes, and am wondering how the heat and honey mix? I'm wanting to do a bochet down the ways a little and add chipotle peppers or maybe something else for a smoky warmth. Though, the idea of making up a jug of liquid honey-fire for my friends who like to boast about high heat tolerances is awful tempting!

Posting because I want to see where this goes, and am wondering how the heat and honey mix? I'm wanting to do a bochet down the ways a little and add chipotle peppers or maybe something else for a smoky warmth. Though, the idea of making up a jug of liquid honey-fire for my friends who like to boast about high heat tolerances is awful tempting!

Yes worth keeping an eye on. Has anyone tried a pepper based mead?

Lots have made them, it seems they're often referred to as "capsimel",.though I haven't seen anyone wanting to produce ones that are mouth blisteringly hot.....

Either way, its not hard. You just select your recipe and make that. At the same time, you get a handful of maybe habaneros, or maybe scotch bonnets, or even some naga/bhut jolokia etc, then just remove the green stalk and blitz then in a food processor with a half pint of vodka (higher strength spirit is better/quicker) then just store it pulp, liquid and all in an airtight jar.

By the time you've finished the mead and got it cleared etc, you have a jar of chilli/capsaicin extract to top up with. Just strain it off the pulp first.

So I am starting it today.

Going to go with EC 1118, and staggered honey additions. havent really set a timetable for them, but most likely after starting with 2.5 lbs, I will add another 2.5 lbs 4-5 days later just so the yeast can get adjusted to being in mead.

Going with cheap clover honey from the grocery store. three bucks a lb so its not too bad.

I have decided on using scotch bonnets, and so far am going to go with three, quartered peppers, in secondary, which will be 5 days after pitching.

Do not have an estimated final gravity, but I may add another 12 oz of honey later if the EC 1118 is still doing okay. Interested to see if high capsaicin levels have an effect on yeast.

Will do a taste test after secondary, to see if I want to rack onto any more peppers. From what I have read in another article, it may get stronger as it ages. I am guessing this may be from small chili particles still being afloat and releasing their precious capsaicin. Perhaps the "pith" or white flesh of the pepper will dissolve somewhat and continue to stay afloat.

Edit: Also daily aeration. 'cus das how I do, yo.

Well irrespective of which yeast you use, I'd have thought you'd be better to start as you already said, but instead of dumping another 2.5lb on top in one hit, I'd be adding it half a pound at a time - oh and I'd also stage the nutrient as well. If that is done with one or two daily aerations, then it should make for a nice smooth progression to the alcohol build up. Plus don't forget to check and test to follow the gravity changes/reductions.

I cook for a living, if you could call it that. I have found that in my hot sauces, habaneros and other peppers give the spicy tongue bite, but the true heat that makes you drool after a bit comes best from cayenne powder. try adding a tsp of it towards the end of secondary per gallon. that should give you the true heat.

Descender said:
I cook for a living, if you could call it that. I have found that in my hot sauces, habaneros and other peppers give the spicy tongue bite, but the true heat that makes you drool after a bit comes best from cayenne powder. try adding a tsp of it towards the end of secondary per gallon. that should give you the true heat.

+1 on the cayenne pepper...that's my favorite thing about using it in cooking is the back heat. Never used it in beer before, but might be worth a shot if your looking for a little more something when you get to your finished product.

Holy necro thread batman! Any updates on anyone's attempts at hot meads? My ginger mead is pretty darn hot and it only hits you after you take a breath in. Problem with my ginger mead right now is that when I back sweetened I did not give the sorbate and Camden time to take hold and it is still fermenting. It is super super slow and having to wait for it to finish and will attempt another back stabilizing sweetening then.

Latest posts

Back