New guy from Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcera

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm Richard Force form Birmingham, Alabama. I have been lurking around for a while, but I'm finally getting around to posting.

I just graduated from Auburn University back in May with a BS in Economics, but now I work in health care...go figure, I'm just happy to have a job.

I started brewing while I was in college (1 year or so). I got a Mr. Beer kit for my birthday one year and started with that. I think it was a good way to get started in the hobby because you can learn the steps in a fairly fool proof way. Not to mention I have two 2.5 gallon fermentation vessels now. I can brew a batch and then pitch two different kinds of yeast to see/taste the difference. I have moved up to a bigger operation now. Pretty standard five gallon batch set up. I'm still doing mostly extract brews, but once I get my own place (living with parents for the time being to save up money for my own place) I will more than likely start doing all grain brews.

Craziest brew so far is a smoked beer that I need to bottle right now (went to do it yesterday but I was out of sanitizer). I smoked the grains my self, and after raking it over to the secondary it tasted pretty damn good.

I mostly like the darker beer, stouts/porters, but I have never met a beer that I would not a least try.

I'm also a member for Free the Hops, Alabama's grassroots gourmet beer group. We just got the laws in the state changed to allow beers over 6% ABV. Now we can get beers up to 13.9% ABV, but nothing over 16 oz in a single serving.

From the luking I have done there seems to be a lot of good info so here, so I hope to learn a lot.:mug::mug::mug:

Yeah, Im just happy that we can get good stuff here now. I remember going over to Atlanta for Braves baseball games and coming back to Auburn with $150+ of good beer. I also remember going to job interviews in other states and bring back a lot of good beer that was illegeal in Alabama.

i just joined myself and am also from birmingham alabama. dont have any experience under my belt but my brew kit is in the mail so ill have some in a month or so hopefully. we should keep in touch being local and all i possibly could use some pointers sometime

i just joined myself and am also from birmingham alabama. dont have any experience under my belt but my brew kit is in the mail so ill have some in a month or so hopefully. we should keep in touch being local and all i possibly could use some pointers sometime

You should check out the Homebrew club I'm a member of. Its the Brimingham Brewmasters, we meet the frist Wednesday every month at Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brewmasters/

One of my beer buddies is heading your way for a vintage motorcycle event this weekend. What are some good/favorite local/regional brews he should try?

Thanks for the micro brewery tips and yes Barbers they will be at. In fact there's four gray haired hooligans going down to drool over Nortons, Triumphs and BSA to name only a few.

Barbers is AMAZING. The place looks like a golf course, and I don't mean the crappy one down the street. I mean Augusta National the week of The Masters.

My dad's accounting firm does the Barbers' personal taxes so when they have stuff out there we get really good tickets.

I think the craziest thing about the museame is the fact that all of the bikes are in working order.

Yeah if you like bikes its one place that you have to go. I remember a several years ago they had a bunch of his bikes on display at the Bham museum of art.

http://barbermuseum.org/

http://barbermuseum.org/gallery.php

They also hold lots of other races and club days there. Porsche has a driving school there. In fact during the summer they signed a deal with F1 to host races there for at least 3 years. They will have to go and add some stands, which will take away for the track, but its still pretty bad ass. I mean F1 is coming to my back yard.

I had a very good applewood smoked pale ale that was just home-smoked 2-row and cascade for bittering. That beer was awesome, hope yours turns good too.

I had a very good applewood smoked pale ale that was just home-smoked 2-row and cascade for bittering. That beer was awesome, hope yours turns good too.

Its an Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier extract clone that I got from my LHBS. It came with two lbs of 2 row that I smoked instead of useing a smoke flavoring. It the cheese and slamon that I smoked with it are any indication then it will be damn good. Its going into the bottles tonight/tomorrow depends on when I get home from the LHBC meeting.

I will be relocating to Birmingham sometime pretty soon. Thanks for the info on the local brew club!

No problem. If you want any more info just send me a PM or post it here. In fact if you have any questions about Bham do the same. BTW Larry Langford, bham's most recient mayor, was just found guilty on 60 counts of fraud and taking bribes.

cool I can only image that game along with well RAIN again....Got 5 gallons brewing now...still haven't figured out the use of crystal malt yet i am doing 100% malt extract....wading in the water shall we say

Hi Phillip:
regret your condition.
lets see over paid coach, wont let dead men die, and oh crooks....(mr langford).

bye the way WAR EAGLE....
Thanks

Latest posts

Back