LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
forcera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New guy from Alabama

Hey guys, I'm Richard Force form Birmingham, Alabama. I have been lurking around for a while, but I'm finally getting around to posting.

I just graduated from Auburn University back in May with a BS in Economics, but now I work in health care...go figure, I'm just happy to have a job.

I started brewing while I was in college (1 year or so). I got a Mr. Beer kit for my birthday one year and started with that. I think it was a good way to get started in the hobby because you can learn the steps in a fairly fool proof way. Not to mention I have two 2.5 gallon fermentation vessels now. I can brew a batch and then pitch two different kinds of yeast to see/taste the difference. I have moved up to a bigger operation now. Pretty standard five gallon batch set up. I'm still doing mostly extract brews, but once I get my own place (living with parents for the time being to save up money for my own place) I will more than likely start doing all grain brews.

Craziest brew so far is a smoked beer that I need to bottle right now (went to do it yesterday but I was out of sanitizer). I smoked the grains my self, and after raking it over to the secondary it tasted pretty damn good.

I mostly like the darker beer, stouts/porters, but I have never met a beer that I would not a least try.

I'm also a member for Free the Hops, Alabama's grassroots gourmet beer group. We just got the laws in the state changed to allow beers over 6% ABV. Now we can get beers up to 13.9% ABV, but nothing over 16 oz in a single serving.

From the luking I have done there seems to be a lot of good info so here, so I hope to learn a lot.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
dblalock
Recipes 

Another member from Alabama. Welcome.
Now we just have to work on getting 22 oz!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, Im just happy that we can get good stuff here now. I remember going over to Atlanta for Braves baseball games and coming back to Auburn with $150+ of good beer. I also remember going to job interviews in other states and bring back a lot of good beer that was illegeal in Alabama.

Listening to a person that brews their own beer is like listening to a religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light
- Ross Murray

In Alabama there is no beer, thats why we brew it here
-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Alvin Holmes, Alabama House of Representatives, on Beer

Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Opherman47
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hey this coming weekend there is a homebrew beer comp in nashville, it will be pretty good you should make the drive

Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
thebamaking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i just joined myself and am also from birmingham alabama. dont have any experience under my belt but my brew kit is in the mail so ill have some in a month or so hopefully. we should keep in touch being local and all i possibly could use some pointers sometime

Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebamaking View Post
i just joined myself and am also from birmingham alabama. dont have any experience under my belt but my brew kit is in the mail so ill have some in a month or so hopefully. we should keep in touch being local and all i possibly could use some pointers sometime
You should check out the Homebrew club I'm a member of. Its the Brimingham Brewmasters, we meet the frist Wednesday every month at Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brewmasters/

Listening to a person that brews their own beer is like listening to a religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light
- Ross Murray

-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
hopdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

One of my beer buddies is heading your way for a vintage motorcycle event this weekend. What are some good/favorite local/regional brews he should try?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Birmingham's local brewery is Good People Brewing, anything by them is pretty good, http://www.goodpeoplebrewing.com/.

One of the best places for a good beer in the city is The J Clyde, http://jclyde.com/

Its got tons of really good beers.

He wouldnt happen to going to Barbers Motor Sports Park would he?

- Ross Murray

Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
hopdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the micro brewery tips and yes Barbers they will be at. In fact there's four gray haired hooligans going down to drool over Nortons, Triumphs and BSA to name only a few.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Barbers is AMAZING. The place looks like a golf course, and I don't mean the crappy one down the street. I mean Augusta National the week of The Masters.

My dad's accounting firm does the Barbers' personal taxes so when they have stuff out there we get really good tickets.

I think the craziest thing about the museame is the fact that all of the bikes are in working order.

- Ross Murray

Quick Reply