Hey! New Hombrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyMcBong

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just signed up here and figured I'd introduce myself. I'm from originally from a tiny community in rural Newfoundland Canada but I currently live in Toronto. I've always had fond memories of the great homebrews the oldtimers back home would brew and had been mentioning trying to put off a batch for a while now. Fastforward to Christmas, my GF got me a copy of "The Complete Homebrew Beer Book" so long story short, I bought a "Brewer's Best" 5 gallon starter kit and for my own personal ease, a Pale Ale brew kit from the same manufactor.

Somemore about me: I'm 34 years old and a professional chef. I'm hoping that some of my cooking and baking skills will transfer over to the homebrewing hobby. I'm also an avid ATV'er and medical marijuana license holder and grower. Once I feel comfortable with the brewing process, I may attempt to grow some hops in my grow room. That's a lot of research away tho.

Anyway, hi everyone!!

Smokey,

Welcome from a newbie to a newbie! I am also newer to brewing, although I have some expreience with Mr. Beer (baby kits). You seem like you got some great hobbies and I am jealous of your ability to legally use and grow. Even as a LEO, I disagree with the current laws and think it would make everything easier and out jobs a little safer if it was legal. Anyways, I keep a close eye on your thread to see how your first batch turns out! Cheers!

-Sapp

Thanks bro. I've been reading a lot since Christmas and am now feeling very comfortable in my abilities to make some great hooch. Hopfully I'll brew on my next day off. Just gotta do some temp investigation around the house to find a suitable place for the fermenter to live.

On a side note, its really refreshing to hear your thoughts on marijuana. Its a opinnion that many in enforcment are eccohing. Maybe one day it'll be no different to grow as to brew a little in your own home, a hobby that you can show off to your friends with no permission or license needed.

Have a great day brother

Welcome Smokey! I too am an Atlantic Canadian. I think being a professional chef you would feel very comfortable all grain brewing. Plus there are some great resources in TO for ingerdients. Its really waaaay easier than you would think, and your beer is fantastic.

Cheers bro, and smoke em if ya got em!
:tank:

welcome from another fellow newfie and newbi. I too remember sampling some fine newfie homebrew when i was younger. I'm now base in nova scotia and just started brewing.

best of luck to you and happy brewing!

Welcome to the group, from CO, where MJ is no longer illegal for those of drinking age.

Designing recipes for food and beer have great parallels, designing beer for specific food is a great and exciting thing for homebrewers / home chefs. Enjoy!

Welcome, from a fellow culinary professional. I grow indoors as well....not the kind of growing you do, but growing hops indoors is very impractical. Do a little research, and good luck. Who knows.....maybe you can make it work.

Cheers from Washington State!

Welcome to a great new hobby. I have no doubts that your chef skills will translate over into homebrew.

What are you planning on brewing first?

thanks again all for the welcomes. got my first brew scheduled for Sunday morning!! its an American Pale Ale from a Brewers Best kit. I've been reading nothing but HB related literature since Christmas and my confidence is through the roof lol! Hope I'm not over confident!!

thanks again all for the welcomes. got my first brew scheduled for Sunday morning!! its an American Pale Ale from a Brewers Best kit. I've been reading nothing but HB related literature since Christmas and my confidence is through the roof lol! Hope I'm not over confident!!

Good Luck Sunday, and welcome to the forum Smokey.

This forum is definitely a great place to go for information. It has helped my brewing improve tremendously since I started two years ago. My biggest piece of advise I can give to a new brewer is trust your yeast and let it do it's work. Cheers!

Welcome from a fellow Canadian on the opposite coast.

I've been homebrewing for 3 years now, where I started with BrewHouse and Coopers kits, then after a year I upgraded to all-grain. My pride and joy is a little two-tap kegerator I built from a small fridge that I keep filled with beer to the envy of my friends and family.

This place has been a great resource for me, and the posters helped me troubleshoot an infection problem I had when I first tried out all-grain.

Be warned: this is a hobby that can easily become an obsession. It should also be a great pairing for your chef skills.

Back