Hello and already need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotch_and_Dice

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for having this forum. I'm just brewing my first ever batch and think I hit a snag. I got the Hex Nut Brown Ale from Midwest Supplies. Brew day went great. I ptiched my yeast (Munton's dry) at 12:30 on Sunday and had a fast, solid flow of bubbles by Monday morning. The bubbles had stopped by Monday night and haven't bubbled since. My fermenter has been in a storage area that has stayed between 60 and 75 degrees the whole time although, I think too moch of that time has been closer to 60.

Should I pitch a second yeast? Any suggestions as to what type? I assume I should get it closer to 70 degrees as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It's quite possible it's done. Do you have a hydrometer? If so, you should check the gravity and see how it compares to the intended FG. Even if you are there, I'd still wait a few more days and test again for confirmation. Good luck.

Just because the bubbles stopped does not mean it stopped working, you could have a small air leak somewhere for instance. I usually wait at least 10 days before I touch mine and check with a hydrometer.

I was thinking I'd transfer it to a carboy this weekend for secondary fermentation. I'll check the gravity then and see if I need to make a correction. Thanks all!

I'd skip the secondary, especially for a brown ale.

FYI, many of us skip the secondary these days, for most beers anyways.

If you think the temp was closer to 60F, move the fermenter to a warmer
spot and rouse the yeast a little. Wait a few more days then bottle/keg.

DON'T transfer it until you are sure it hit FG. Taking beer off the yeast when it isn't done is the best way to stall fermentation.

Back