SS Braid build - trouble with washers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy who wrote that said he had to enlarge the opening in the 3/4" SS washer. To you have a dremel tool or die grinder? Maybe a neighbor does? A half-inch nipple is 7/8" OD, roughly, so it's not surprising that it wouldn't fit. You can order 7/8" ID SS washers from McMaster, but they come in a 10 pack.

I ended up using my dremel to enlarge some SS washer I picked up from Home Depot. Just clamped two in a vise grip and went to town. It took about ten minutes. I'd grind at them, test fit, grind, test fit, etc. Super easy.

It doesn't really matter if they're a little loose - it's the O-ring or washer that acts as a seal, not the tightness of the washer on the nipple.

Like I posted, 1/2" NPT is actually 13/16". If you buy 3/4", you'll need to shave a hair off with a file or dremel. The only reason it would need to be snug is if you were going to silver solder.

Back