Originally Posted by Yellowirenut
18awg is low voltage wiring..below 30 volts.
Its the type of wire used to connect your thermostat to your furnace. Not recommended for 110v. Unless otherwise printed on the insulation jacket.
14awg is rated for 15 amps..by code should only be subjected to 12 amps continuously.
The wire was in an overmolded cable rated for 300V. That's my overall question. What would you expect the wire inside this cable to be rated to? Also 300V? That's what I would expect, but I'm not sure. It's clearly not low-voltage wire.
And the NEC rates 14AWG for 25A with 90C insulation. Regardless, it's a chest freezer and is probably something like 5A.