Best locations for RTD's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdelap

Reaction score
I currently have RTD's in my Mash Tun, HLT and Brew kettle. Since I didn't want to remove any of my existing equipment while I was building my new system I now have 2 extra RTD's and was wondering where people thought I might want to add them? I do have a HERMS system and have thought about adding one to the output so I can see the temperature change.

IS there any reason to have more than 3?

Thanks for all the help!!

I think there would be bennifit to check temperatures all over the place... maybe at different places in the mash, or at flow locations to check temperature differentials. I would think it would help greatly to dial in the process! I do it currently with a laser heat gun and it works decent to check random spots, but cant check inside tubes.

It scares me to put the RTD's in the Mash Tun I have 1 in there already and always worry about breaking it off if I have someone helping me that doesn't know it is there I could add a couple in Tee's on either side of the HERMS, but I'm not sure if it is worth the additional PIDS to monitor. Short of adding some 3 contact selectors I don't know how else I could monitor additional locations. Currently MY control panel is connected via a 24 contact pin and socket connector, adding PIDS to constantly monitor would mean adding an additional cable

Breaking an RTD off? SS 1/4" rod... I'd like to see that. How can you maintain a proper mash temperature if you don't know what it is? The wort coming out and going in won't tell you what's happening in the middle of the kettle.
Monitoring the Mash Tun and the HERMS tank would be ideal.

Breaking an RTD off? SS 1/4" rod... I'd like to see that. How can you maintain a proper mash temperature if you don't know what it is? The wort coming out and going in won't tell you what's happening in the middle of the kettle.
Monitoring the Mash Tun and the HERMS tank would be ideal.

I already have one in each, I was referring to adding more, also I doubt breaking the rod but breaking it off of the electrical connector it is attached to.

could also use just a temperature display instead of aditional PIDs

I agree. I got a very nice rtd display shipped from china for under $20. It's the same height as the auber pid but twice as long. So the numbers are very large probably at least 1". It's very easy to see and measures down to a tenth of a degree and is extremely quick responding.

Back