My BIG Kegerator Refurb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
So it's nearly finished, but I wanted to post the project that's been taking up all of my weekend time for a month.

I bought a used 1/2 barrel BeverageAir kegerator and was immediately in for more than I bargained for. I hand't paid much attention to it when I handed over the cash, and the inside was all corroded and rusted out. I mean, I'd have probably bought it anyway, but it didn't really hit me until a couple of days into the build.

I've mentioned it elsewhere on here, but I have already spent double what I paid for it originally on new parts for retrofitting it.

I have a working photoset of it on flickr, or if you like, it views faster as a slideshow, but you only see the info if you click on the images, and you lose out on the in-photo notes.

I have to buy one more regulator (the primary I have is questionable at best) and some tubing, and I think I'm finally good to go.

I'd love your feedback. Thanks!

kvh

THat is one beat assed kegerator. It looks like a VW bus's floor pans. You have done great work bringing it back to life. It seems a good size, 4 kegs in a small foot print.

I had the exact same reaction to the plastic rings for the faucets. I will probably make something out of wood to replace mine.

Beautiful work. Seeing how nice all the outside hardware looks (nice wooden door handle, meaty casters, counter-sunk driptray with drain, etc.) it's understandable how you overlooked the rusty interior bits. That thing hardly looks bigger than my homebuilt Danby but you have twice the capacity!

Thanks for sharing. Hope it isn't too noisy.

Catfish said:
THat is one beat assed kegerator.

Thanks! I'm really ready for it to be finished.

MrFebtober said:
Beautiful work. Seeing how nice all the outside hardware looks (nice wooden door handle, meaty casters, counter-sunk driptray with drain, etc.) it's understandable how you overlooked the rusty interior bits. That thing hardly looks bigger than my homebuilt Danby but you have twice the capacity!

Thanks for sharing. Hope it isn't too noisy.

Well, it's bigger than it looks. The castors and wood trim (actually it's all fake wood grain) came original on the thing. I may eventually swap the castors out for new ones from McMaster that are red or something - totally worth the cost in my mind. I was about to paint the railings and handle some other color but my girlfriend suggested keeping them wood. I like it this way anyway so I'm happy. And unfortunately, it is a bit noisy. I'm hoping that the 2 times I've turned it on, it's mostly loud because it's not down to temp yet... We'll see.

olllllo said:
Northernbrewer sells SS shank spacers instead of the plastic ones.

Yeah, I've seen those. I have to say I'm not thrilled with the look. I get really hung up on aesthetics, so the solution I've come up with here makes me most happy. It also occured to me that I could have simply put those plastic spacers on the INSIDE, and saved myself purchasing the washers. I may do that for fear of rust, which would in turn contaminate the SS. I can take htem back though, so that's ok.

Thanks all!
kvh

Latest posts

Back