My take on a portable kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coravetz

Reaction score
Ok so I thought I'd give back. I easily spend 8-10 hrs just reading posts of lots of talented people here that have way better wood working skills than me. Plus I'm limited in the tool department due to space and $. I've only got a circular saw, jig saw, nail gun and router.

But, many of the DIY projects here have inspired me to jump into kegging and to and building a portable kegerator so I can take this to parties - A big Thank You to everyone that posts here!

The build, if you wish to replicate something similar:
1. The base is a large trashcan that just barely holds 4 corny kegs, but there's enough room to pour about 40 lbs of ice around them and keep them cold during a back yard party for about 5-6 hrs.
44 Gal Trash Can - $39.98

2. The top is made from a sheet of maple plywood with a 1x2" wood skirt and left over cherry molding from our kitchen remodel. My final top dimensions ended up being 3' W x 2' D. I believe this gives enough space for 3 people to pour beers and have space to set a beer down on the side and have a bunch of plastic cups next to the coffin.
3/4" x 4' x 8' Maple Plywood - $49.98
1x2" 8ft Maple Board - $8.98

3. The drip tray is a mud pan and 14" floor register that are bolted together so it can be removed and washed out together or separated for a deeper cleaning.
Mud pan - $3.98
14" Floor Register - $18.98

4. The coffin is made from the same maple plywood sheet (I actually had 2 different sheets from different places, hence the color difference), but you should be able to easily get the base + coffin out of 1 sheet of 4x8'. The facing for the taps is a left over cherry piece of 4 1/4"x15"x3/4". This would probably be about $4-6 depending on wood species if you buy it at a specialty wood store like Wood Craft. I still need to finish the top with a piece to hide the plywood, but ran out of time. Maybe a later post if people are interested.

The coffin is also made to separate from the base with a clasp/locking mechanism. This allows the top and coffin pieces to go into the trunk or back of a car along with the lines and shanks. It might also work well if you have a keezer so you can leave the keezer at home, but take the coffin with you to the party then bring back your kegs and coffin and re-install. To me, this was key to making it as portable as possible.
Align-N-Lock Clasps - $3.69 x 2

5. The fabric that hides the trash can and goes around the base is just tacked in there right now and isn't really the final material. The SWMBO has some "beer" fabric that will be sewed together and attached with velcro so it can be removed or changed out. This was a Hawaiian themed party, so the fabric kinda fits and was a good temporary fix until we get the other fabric in.

6. The air distributor, lines, shanks, taps and beer lines are all from Keg Connection. These guys are awesome! I bought the packaged deal with all this combined plus 2 more kegs. The guys there attached all the air lines to the distributor, hooked up the beer lines and it was almost ready to go out of the box. No leaks and probably a 5 min setup with my current 5# CO2 bottle. Plus the corny kegs were in excellent shape for being the basic recycled kegs. Wow! If you were going to be looking for all the lines and kegs, I'd highly recommend checking these guys out. The price is highly dependent on what taps, shanks, lines, etc., so I'm not going to quote a price here. But, you can find the starting point for all of the lines and add/subtract items to customize what you need - Keg Connection

I hope this helps some of you in the future and I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Thanks again to everyone that posts here. It really is a great place for inspiration.

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

Brilliant, that looks fantastic! How stable is the table on the trash can? I'm envisioning someone (that might have been drinking lol) leaning on a corner.

I hope this helps some of you in the future . . .
Sure you didn't see my Krash Kan first. :D hehehe

Yours is nicer looking, but the taps fold down on mine for easy storage and transportation. Used it to serve at NHC the last two years. Here's a picture from our family Easter party this spring.

Easter2014_01.jpg

KrashKan4.jpg

Brilliant, that looks fantastic! How stable is the table on the trash can? I'm envisioning someone (that might have been drinking lol) leaning on a corner.

With full kegs in the trashcan I think it's about 150 lbs, so I've just bungie the wood top to the trashcan handles. It rocks only a slight bit, but not enough for anyone to knock it over.

When the kegs start getting dry and you've got people stumbling around in the dark...that's a different matter. I might have to think about how to attach it to a post/structure where I go so I don't end up with a whole thing on top of someone. Good point.

One other item I forgot to mention in my 1st post. Drill holes in the bottom of the trashcan. Last thing you want is water sitting there warming up the rest of the ice or having to figure out how to get rid of a tidal wave of water in someone's yard. Unless you also have a slip-n-slide running at the same time...

Sure you didn't see my Krash Kan first. :D hehehe

Yours is nicer looking, but the taps fold down on mine for easy storage and transportation. Used it to serve at NHC the last two years. Here's a picture from our family Easter party this spring.

Whoa! I somehow missed your setup. NICE and simple!!! I'll have to see how my setup works and maybe plan for v2.0 based on this. Thanks for sharing.

I did see a few keezer coffin tower builds that also have an rotating LED set of lights below the taps (hence why I've left a 1/4" offset between the face of the taps and the bottom of the coffin in my design). I was thinking it would be easier to pour when it's darker outside and would be a great wow factor.

Update - I added LED lights to the coffin. It's got a small remote control to turn it off/on, change colors, slow down or speed up the different effects and to auto rotate the colors.

MCBRF-RGB: Mini RGB LED Controller - $12.95
WFLS-RGB-BK (50 cm/19.5 in): LED Lights - $14.95
BPS-12VDC-AA: AA Batter Power Supply - $2.95

Total: $30.85

View attachment IMG_0197.MOV

Back