Compact, Portable Keezer Build (7 cf Lowes special)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to do the same with a 7cu freezer i picked up too! Looking good man!

Your idea of portable and mine are WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAY off though!! Portable = jockey box
Not so portable = keezer! lol

You made me want to go back and see if i can fit another keg in mine though!

Lol, well I do have the igloo cooler that holds a single corny for when I go tailgate (thats where the original 5# bottle came from). Compact was that I fit 5 kegs and 2 co2 bottles in a keezer that can still roll down a tiny condo hallway into the living room.

Ill post up some more pics soon. Now that it is operational, It has take some willpower to finish trimming it up and staining the panels lol.

No big progress as I have just been staining but here are some shots of the coffin all foamed up, the 10# tank with dual body regulator and a cider we have been pounding through.

TPn1TGf.jpg

aoNBqTG.jpg

A5stEri.jpg

Ill try to post some pics up tonight. My temp sensor went out the other day and froze everything up. I got the front and left panels on and when I went to open it realized I made everything a bit to snug and it could not clear the back lol. I had to cut a slice out of each corner so that the top had room to pivot.

Here are a few pics as it sits. Glued on the other top trim piece last night. You can see that back corner where I had to angle it so it would open. Going to empty it today and see if I can position it so everything lines up perfectly.

gjMR0un.jpg

2ZzBor8.jpg

One of my issues at the moment is lid support. It has some weight to it and with the new style hinges, there is nothing to stop it from flying back and destroying itself. I have seen 2 solutions but can't find the damn parts on amazon or home depot. One was using 2, loop ended steel cables that mount to the lid and center of the base so that it stops at full length. The other was mounted struts/shocks but I can't find any under $25 a piece nor a decent length with mounting hardware. Any ideas?

I recently saw someone use short chains attached to the lid and the base to keep it from going back too far.

How cramped is it inside with 5 kegs, all the lines and regulators, and the Co2 and nitro tanks? I'm still trying to decide whether I should use this freezer or bump up to an 8.8 ft^3. I like the small footprint of this freezer, im just worried if it will be too cramped with all that stuff inside.

I recently saw someone use short chains attached to the lid and the base to keep it from going back too far.

How cramped is it inside with 5 kegs, all the lines and regulators, and the Co2 and nitro tanks? I'm still trying to decide whether I should use this freezer or bump up to an 8.8 ft^3. I like the small footprint of this freezer, im just worried if it will be too cramped with all that stuff inside.

Oh it's cramped lol.

DEC9A910-79A0-41B4-B65B-8077A5C28A17_zpsimhqpkar.jpg

If you want, I can take a pic with everything inside tonight with all of the other stuff on, Collar, Regulators, etc. I still need to finish off some of the lines but everything is just about there.

Sorry it took so long. I keep getting side tracked! I did get the last side put on but the 45 deg angle i cut with my miter saw was not enough to clear so I had to saw more off on that one. This has definitely been a learning process lol..

As for the space... It is cramped. Very cramped. Last keg on the floor has to be the front right (blue top) and it has to be pushed down. I am sure a little clever banging could make it slide in like butter but just saying. Also, where I mounted my temp controller causes and issue for dropping in 10# co2 tank. I had to slide in the co2 tank at an angle under the controller, then the short keg and then the last to floor kegs. Gonna have to play with some things to get a good process going :).

qhNlGzv.jpg

Sorry it took so long. I keep getting side tracked! I did get the last side put on but the 45 deg angle i cut with my miter saw was not enough to clear so I had to saw more off on that one. This has definitely been a learning process lol..

As for the space... It is cramped. Very cramped. Last keg on the floor has to be the front right (blue top) and it has to be pushed down. I am sure a little clever banging could make it slide in like butter but just saying. Also, where I mounted my temp controller causes and issue for dropping in 10# co2 tank. I had to slide in the co2 tank at an angle under the controller, then the short keg and then the last to floor kegs. Gonna have to play with some things to get a good process going :).

Just spray the kegs with cooking spray. :cross:

What size nitro tank are you using? Also, would a 5lb C02 tank help much with the space issues? I wouldn't mind swapping co2 more often if it makes things a bit less cramped. I'm currently ordering all the stuff to do this project myself.

I already own 2 of the freezers for food and fermentation, so luckily I can test it out with one of those first to see if I think it'll be too cramped.

Thanks for the help!

What size nitro tank are you using? Also, would a 5lb C02 tank help much with the space issues? I wouldn't mind swapping co2 more often if it makes things a bit less cramped. I'm currently ordering all the stuff to do this project myself.

I already own 2 of the freezers for food and fermentation, so luckily I can test it out with one of those first to see if I think it'll be too cramped.

Thanks for the help!

It absolutely would. I saw the space for #10 so went ahead but a #5 would make it easier to maneuver. I have a spare #5 which I might throw in there if it comes to fitting 5 kegs in. Ill gets some pics up tonight. Got the whole work area cleaned up and am having a HW party. Still needs some poly, one last trim piece, the back and some other stuff but its gonna get her maiden voyage tonight!

Great, I'm gonna grab a 5lb Co2 and a 20cf nitro. Good luck with the party! We've got family staying with us for Thanksgiving, so I'm in a rush to have mine functional by then.

Great, I'm gonna grab a 5lb Co2 and a 20cf nitro. Good luck with the party! We've got family staying with us for Thanksgiving, so I'm in a rush to have mine functional by then.

The nitro is a 5# looking tank. I know their use different standard measurements but one thing to note is you will have to have some way to raise it off of the floor so that the gauges are above the keg line. You don't want to have any pressure resting on the neck.

Well I apparently did not take many pictures on Halloween but I got a nice picture of the setup before everyone showed up. Ended up being the room where everyone hung out all night lol. Was originally going to roll it out into the living room but the back panel and one side trim piece was not done so that will have to wait a few weeks. Also got my raspberry pints server setup on my desktop and got this tablet for $50 on ebay that just displays the page.

fawVygC.jpg

if6Ye8c.jpg

Finally got some more work done. Applied 2 coats of poly to the top and 1 to the bottom. This oak really sucks it up. It will take many coats to get it done but its a start!

Also routed some lines, added in the manifold to split some lines, and got some organization done so that the stout keg can sit up on the hump.

d7fMMGN.jpg

VtSriEb.jpg

BKB9BSr.jpg

I've gotta thank you, nab911, this thread is what I used to decide to go with the Idylis freezer. I wasn't sure if it was big enough to fit my needs, so thanks for showing me that it would fit 4 regular taps and a nitro tap. Eventually I'll make mine a coffin keezer like yours, but for now I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm still searching for the right sized drip tray, so for now I'm just using a towel on the floor. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419796966.226070.jpg

I've gotta thank you, nab911, this thread is what I used to decide to go with the Idylis freezer. I wasn't sure if it was big enough to fit my needs, so thanks for showing me that it would fit 4 regular taps and a nitro tap. Eventually I'll make mine a coffin keezer like yours, but for now I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm still searching for the right sized drip tray, so for now I'm just using a towel on the floor. View attachment 244976

Looks good! Have you actually had 5 kegs in it yet? I am going to be kegging another soon and will have a full line so it's going to be a fun game. Also, have you used your nitro tap yet? I made a guinness clone that is delicious but does not have the head or cascade it should.

Looks good! Have you actually had 5 kegs in it yet? I am going to be kegging another soon and will have a full line so it's going to be a fun game. Also, have you used your nitro tap yet? I made a guinness clone that is delicious but does not have the head or cascade it should.

Sorry just saw your reply, the app hasn't been notifying me of replies for some reason. I've only had 3 on so far, how is it doing now that you've got all 5 in? I've noticed that my lines are a little warm so I'm gonna add a fan for air circulation.

I haven't really gotten to use the nitro faucet yet. I brewed a Robust Porter that I planned on putting on nitro, but when I finally got the tap set up the keg kicked after half a pint. I'm gonna brew a stout soon so I can put it to use.

Back