Yeast on toast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipanook

Reaction score
I've got an old recipe book that's been kicking around my family for decades. A lot of the recipes use yeast spread on toast. From what I've researched so far it seems this is a rather outdated way of doing things.

What I wanted to know was how to change this to use more modern yeasts. One recipe I'm interested in (parsnip wine) uses 1/2 oz of yeast spread on toast. Do I just use 1/2 oz of yeast powder? How important is the initial amount of yeast that is used, as I suppose it propagates in the brew anyway?

Vegemite and Marmite are made from yeast extract, so are not a source of viable yeast.
From what I can make out, using yeast on toast used to be a very common practise.

I've got an old recipe book that's been kicking around my family for decades. A lot of the recipes use yeast spread on toast. From what I've researched so far it seems this is a rather outdated way of doing things.

What I wanted to know was how to change this to use more modern yeasts. One recipe I'm interested in (parsnip wine) uses 1/2 oz of yeast spread on toast. Do I just use 1/2 oz of yeast powder? How important is the initial amount of yeast that is used, as I suppose it propagates in the brew anyway?

If you're using dry wine yeast, 1 sachet (packet) is 5 grams & is good for 1 thru 6 gallons. Dry Beer yeast usually comes in sachets about twice that amount. A 1/2oz of dry wine yeast is about 3 times as much as you'll need & would be a waste. Just follow the directions on the packet & save the toast for breakfast. Regards, GF.

Excellent. Thanks a lot Gratus, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I thought 1/2 oz seemed a lot.

Latest posts

Back