When will the fermentation end?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jroza1

Reaction score
I am making plum wine from fruit and honey and followed the recipe to the letter. I am at 10 days of fermentation with the fruit still in the bucket and a SG of 1.020 on my way to 1.000 according to the book I am following. The fermentation has dropped off considerably only losing .005/day and when I started out we were dropping as much as .30/day.

The book says it past time for the fruit to come out so should I just rack it now and let the fermentation process finish out in my carboy?

Thanks yooper! We have racked and it's a lot more active looking in the bottle than it was in the bucket, but I assume that's a bit mis leading as the bucket didn't come to a narrow mouth and it wasn't see through. Should I be worried about light exposure or any thing?

Thanks yooper! We have racked and it's a lot more active looking in the bottle than it was in the bucket, but I assume that's a bit mis leading as the bucket didn't come to a narrow mouth and it wasn't see through. Should I be worried about light exposure or any thing?

Yes. Throw a blanket or towel over it to cover it.

Once fermentation slows, you can top it up and rack in 45-60 days if there are lots of lees.

Back