Rhubarb combined with _______?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okemasis

Reaction score
i recently bottled last year's rhubarb wine, following Jack Keller's recipe (of course). It is by far the best wine I've ever made, so this year I've started two batches, and have enough (12 lbs) in the freezer for another half batch.
Does anybody have any recommendations for a fruit or two to combine this with to stretch it to a full batch? I think the obvious is strawberry, but want other suggestions. SWMBO hopes blueberry would taste good so we could call it Blubarb BEFORE we've drank too much... Any suggestions from experience would be appreciated.. Don't want a full batch of no good wine (although I'm sure any fruit would at least be drinkable.
Just bottled a 16% strawberry rhubarb jam wine tonight. Mmmmmmm! The taste test put me in one hell of a good mood

Thanks all!

Pomegranate sounds nice, blueberries as well, grapes, peaches, and raspberries would all probably work nice. You're surely safe with strawberries. If it was me, I would go with Pomegranates though.

I agree with Hebrew. But strawberries would be my first choice if I were to add fruit. What's available in Saskatoon? Have you also considered the freezing trick to reduce the content of oxalic acid in the rhubarb? Extract all the rhubarb juice you can and freeze it in plastic freezer bag(s) that is/are positioned upright. When frozen, cut off the top part of the rhubarb juice ice ball that has a different color and that reduces the oxalic acid content dramatically. Chances are more people will enjoy the taste of your resulting rhubarb wine. Cheers and let us know what fruit you decide to use!

I was wondering the same thing. I'm leaning toward rhubarb and strawberry myself. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I started mine last week. Going for 3 gallons with 4 lbs rhubarb and 6 lb strawberries.

One of my friends made "rhuberry"- blueberry, strawberry, and rhubarb. It was excellent, but I never asked her the combination that she used. It was a very nice mix, though!

Sounds delicious. I might have to try that next year. I've made blueberry before and I ended up blending a good portion of it with a Riesling I made from a kit and really enjoyed the results.

Sounds delicious. I might have to try that next year. I've made blueberry before and I ended up blending a good portion of it with a Riesling I made from a kit and really enjoyed the results.

My blueberry wine is boring. It's just, well, boring. It isn't bad, but it doesn't have that wonderful tart/sweet blueberry taste. I adjusted the acids, etc, but it's just not as great as I thought it would be. I think blending it with riesling (or the rhubarb) would be great, as it would be a great mix.

That was my experience too. I love blueberries but the wine wasn't enough on its own. Blended with something else it was really good though.

Don't forget to just do Rhubarb on it's own! Makes for a delicious, yummy wine!

2012 - 15 lbs rhubarb, 3 lbs fresh strawberries - Excellent, probably my favorite. Only down side was the light pink color disappeared during clearing
2013 - 14 lbs rhubarb, 4 lbs frozen peaches - Very good, I get some peach notes from rhubarb anyway so this intensified it
2014 - 13.5 lbs rhubarb, 4.5 lbs mixed frozen berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry) - Much darker color, but little tasting yet as it's sitting in tertiary over the long winter.

Other ideas for future years batches include apricot and pear.

Solbes - thanks for the ideas.

Luke - don't worry, I did a 5 gallon batch with just rhubarb too.

Rhubarb cider. I used 1/2 gallon rhubarb juice to 2 gallons of apple and added some amber candi syrup. I think I could've gone bigger on the rhubarb though.

Gooseberry : Rhubarb Sparkling Wine ~11%
Acidity 0.63% to 0.7%
Tannin 0.02%
(Use either 1Kg of Goosegogs, or 1.5Kg of rhubarb or any of this ratio of the two)!
1Kg Gooseberries : 1.5Kg Rhubarb
1L White Grape Juice
Sugar - 720g
GV no. 3 or 10 Yeast & Nutrient
Sugar -50g to condition
The chosen ratio of gooseberry : rhubarb can be reduced by a third and 450g pears (peeled and cored or two 410g tins) may be added for some further diversity;
AND / OR
To create a rose sparkling wine, reduce the gooseberry : rhubarb by a further 200g, and add either 100g blackcurrants / 225g redcurrants / 300g raspberries.
Apple & Rhubarb Sparkling Wine ~11.4%
Acidity 0.69%
Tannin 0.04%
1.85Kg Apples (or 1.5L Juice)
850g Rhubarb (Freeze & thaw along with the apples)
500ml White Grape Juice
720g Sugar
GV no.3 or 10 Yeast & Nutrient
Ferment to dry and add 50g of sugar condition.

Dry White Wine
Acidity 0.68%
Tannin 0.02%
750g Rhubarb
650g Sugar
2L White Grape OR
2L Apple Juice & an additional 100g sugar or a mix of apple / grape
GV no. 5 Yeast & Nutrient
Freeze, thaw the gooseberries / rhubarb.

I don't know about Blubarb wine. But I can tell you that I make a award-winning Blubarb pie that is the best of the best. So I would not be afraid to make it into a wine, and might just very well do that next year!

Racked my rhubarb/strawberry wine today. It has some potential but will definitely need some time. I have a 3 gallon carboy full plus a 1/2 gallon growler.

Was inspired to try the rhubarb blueberry, that's my dad's favorite pie so that's its name, "Daddy's Pie". It's looking beautiful it's been about three weeks now, ready to check it. My only issue is doesn't seem to be clearing up should I add another Camden tablet? Only did 1 gallon to try, if it turns out will certainly make more.

Latest posts

Back