Procedure for sanitizing wine bottles before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottles get a bath in some Oxyclean to remove the labels and gunk that is on the inside, prior to bottling. Then just before bottling they get a shot of sanstar to sterilize them.

If you are talking about reusing corks NEVER do that.

If you are asking how to sanitize new corks there are lots of different opinion on that some say it is not necessary. For me I take the corks I am going to use and place them in a bowl, I then crush a campden tablet in a smaller bowl and fill it with some boiling water, and place it in the bowl full of corks and cover. This basically steams the corks with and sanitizes them without getting them wet.

Before bottling time:
1. Scrape off labels with a sharp chisel.
2. Soak several hours in Oxy-Clean. Clean with bottle brush in drill.
3. Rinse and let dry.
At bottling time:
4. Wash bottles in One-Step.
5. Rinse (I know its non-rinse, but to me it is still soap)
6. Spray with sulfite solution.
7. Put corks in a Tupperware tub with sulfite solution (1/4" and shake to get wet)
8. Bottle and cork.

6 months after bottling:
DRINK!!!

I generally reuse bottles that I've had wine in previously. I generally just use metallic markers to label my bottles. So it just takes the rough side of a sponge to get 'em clean.

That being said, after I finish a bottle I rinse it out good, let it sit upside down on a towel to dry out. Once dry into a wine box upside down. Then I just refill it after a cursory check for anything stuck inside such as dust or once in a great while mold from one put away not dry.

yes I know this that and the other, but it's a combination of effort vs. return on the whole sanitize before bottling issue for me.

Oxyclean process to clean. As for sanitation, I use a starsan solution in a spray bottle, (though some use the vin cleaner. Just spritz it so it covers the surface of the inner bottle and pour it out, wait a bit, then fill with liquid.

I get my wife involved using our dishwasher. Our old DW has a "sanitize" feature and would sanitize in a short nine minute session. However, that DW bit the dust and we recently purchased a new one. Same brand, Bosch, and the "sanitize" feature on the new on takes a disappointing two hours. I find that this does the job...

The wife (she's the wine drinker) soaks bottles in very hot water even adding some boiling water with oxiclean. Right before bottling I use a 5 gallon bucket of star San, submerge the bottles long enough to get them at least 1/4 full, swish it around, poor it out and put upside down in a drying rack. I find with this method I can hold down 3 bottles at once instead of one bottle at a time.

I had a cork drawer that didn't put a hole in the cork. Even sanitized, the used corks were the first to leak or get moldy. Make a bulletin board, coasters, and trivets with used corks. Make a New Year's Eve wreath. Similarly, used bottle caps were the first to leak or rust. Further, don't try to make a meal out of the marinated meat, raisins, and spices after you have made cock ale. It's compost time. Re-use is an admirable concept, but eventually you come to the point where recycling is the thing to do.
My wine bottling procedure is to clean and de-label in a separate session. Soak 5 at a time in the sink with PBW. Take one out, put one in. Scrape label with single-edge razor blade. Take off any remaining glue with a copper or scrubby pad, rinse, put in plastic tub that holds about 15 bottles for handling.
Bottling day, count out new corks into plastic container with sealing lid, add a teaspoon of Potassium metabisulfite and half fill with warm water, shake and set aside, shake again when you think of it. Then put a gallon or so of water and two tablespoons potassium metabisulfite (no-rinse) in one side of the sink. Use two bottle rinsers/vinators to rinse the bottles. This speeds things up. Fill bottles with clear, stabilized wine, pull corks from container as needed. Rinse the two tubs with the sink spray, put aside to dry, then capsuling, labels, and cool dark storage with the bottles laying down to keep the corks moist.

Back