Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Cure-All

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
OldRalHoleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cure-All

Here's the recipe for a small (2 gallon) batch I bottled and corked yesterday. I tasted the hydrometer's share to make sure it didn't need to be sweetened (FG was 1.001!) and it was amazingly smooth, especially considering the high alcohol content. My fiance doesn't like chamomile or mint, but she loves this wine. I'm excited to see what age will do to it!

With the antioxidants and beta-carotene of carrots, anti-inflammatory and soothing effects of chamomile, and digestive healing powers of mint, who's to say it isn't a cure-all? If you use tea bags for your chamomile and/or mint, make sure the only ingredient in the tea is its respective herb. The measurements are in grams because each Bigelow tea bag I had contained one gram of material.

Cure-All

SG: 1.121
FG:1.001
ABV: 15.75 percent

Ingredients:
-10 g dried chamomile
-8 g dried mint
-2 black tea bags
-5 lbs carrots, chopped but not skinned (you can save these to eat!)
-handful of raisins (optional)
-2 tsp yeast nutrient

Yeast:
Montrachet dry wine yeast

Sugar:
5 lbs white granulated

Directions:
Boil the chopped carrots in a little over 2 gallons of water, or as much as your container will hold, until they are soft to the touch. Remove carrots through straining and throw them in the fridge to heat up as a quick side dish later (throw some butter and chili salt on there!) Turn off heat and steep all tea bags/herbs in carrot water for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags, stir in 5 lbs white granulated sugar. Pour into fermentation vessel (I used two 1 gal glass jugs from commercial crapper wine), top off with water if needed, pitch yeast and nutrient, fit with airlock.

My batch was started on 12/30/09 and bottled on 2/7/10, with fermentation at 64-66 degrees Fahrenheit. You could ferment at a higher temperature to finish it quicker, but I'm not sure if it would taste quite as smooth as it does this way. It's a full-bodied elixir, silky smooth...mmm!

Last edited by OldRalHoleBrewing; 02-08-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: forgot the yeast nutrient

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Celestyal
Recipes 

That. Sounds. Really. Good.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
StoutFan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

hmmmmm........ sounds interesting indeed.....

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It sounds really good-- I can't help but wonder how good it would be if the sugar was replaced with honey?? I mean, honey is good for ya too right?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
OldRalHoleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I bet Cure-All Mead would be incredible...Somebody make it and tell me how it turns out! A buddy of mine just dropped by and left with a bottle, he's digging it like hell.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Hinermad
Recipes 

What, no belladonna? (Grin) Just kidding - that stuff is also known as deadly nightshade for a reason. But I saw it listed as an ingredient in a homeopathic cold remedy used by a guy I once worked with. It didn't cure anything, it just made you so loopy you didn't care how bad you felt.

Cure-All Mead does sound good. I wouldn't have thought to use carrots. What gave you the idea?

Dave

P.S. Where in southern Ohia? I grew up near Athens. D.

"Everything you think, do, and say
is in the beer you'll drink today...
"

Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have heard of parsnip wine being a very popular country wine to make-a friend from the UK said that his grandpa used to make it with some of the older men in the neighborhood.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
OldRalHoleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinermad View Post
What, no belladonna? (Grin) Just kidding - that stuff is also known as deadly nightshade for a reason. But I saw it listed as an ingredient in a homeopathic cold remedy used by a guy I once worked with. It didn't cure anything, it just made you so loopy you didn't care how bad you felt.

Cure-All Mead does sound good. I wouldn't have thought to use carrots. What gave you the idea?

Dave

P.S. Where in southern Ohia? I grew up near Athens. D.
I wanted to make a carrot-based beverage after reading that they gave a good body to wines. One source for the inspiration was Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Winemaking," in which there is a recipe for "Optimistic Sibling Carrot Wine." The recipe calls for 5 pounds of carrots per one gallon of finished product, but I wanted to stretch them (being the ever-frugal one), and the idea of the Cure-All came about. I'd been digging the soothing properties of chamomile for months, and came across a good deal on chamomile and mint tea bags at Big Lots. This whole batch cost me 6 or 7 bucks to make.

Right now me and the lady are posted up in Kettering, just south of Dayton, but I was originally a Cincinnati boy. I gotta say, it's nice up here though.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
SSteph2747
Recipes 

I am sooooooo trying this!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I do have one question-- could the cooked carrots be exchanged with fresh carrot juice? My aunt has a good juicer and carrot is one of the family favorites. Or is there a reason that the carrots are cooked?

Quick Reply