Backsweeten without Sorbate (Cote des Blancs)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
So, if I made a batch of wine with Cote des Blancs yeast (13-14% alc tolerance), with an ABV of 13.5 - 14%, and I let it clear completely, would I be safe adding sugar (and a bit a campden) to the cleared wine without it refermenting?
I mean, the yeast is pretty much tuckered out at the ABV, plus it's "clear". Would the yeast be able to restart? I'd guess no, but wanted your thoughts.

Not necessarily..... If you give it some time the yeast will die off; those still alive that is from the high alcohol content paired with a lack of food.... If you're patient give it a week then sweeten, but in theory you should be able to sweeten now if your yeast doesn't surpass it's tolerance

The answer is basically no...What you are doing is gambling with bottle bombs. If you don't mind your wine being carbonated when you open it up then it might work if you put it into heavy glass. If you did want to try and back sweeten without sorbate the only option I could think of that may work is cold stabilizing it, racking and then adding sugar. After this you would want to store it at a very cold temperature like 45 F. The other option would be too filter out the yeast cells but these filtration systems are pretty expensive and there is still no guarantee that you will get all the yeast.

Back