Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Advice on cleaning and sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Ridenour64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Advice on cleaning and sanitizing

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for cleaning and sanitizing. I use oxy clean to clean. And star San as a sanitizer. My main question is how to clean hard to reAch places such and my siphone tubes. My auto siphons. Airlocks wine thiefs etc. How am I supposed to be able toable to scrub or wine those places down. Is simply sitting in the oxy clean going to cleanse or do I have to reach those spots?

Also. In attempting to clean my siphone hose with a wire and cloth I scratched the inside of my siphon tube. Is the tube no longer any good? I know you can't have scratched buckets, idk if this matters because the wine is not actually sitting in the tube.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry for all of the typos. I am on my iPhone and the app was not working too well.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Usually if you soak in some type of soft cleaning solution you should be good. Just vigorously pump the siphon after it has been sitting in cleaning solution for a while. You shouldn't have too much gunk in there assuming you clean right away, that might be the best advice. After you use something get it soaking right away. PBW is a cleaning solution that is very effective if you let things sit overnight.

Scratches in plastic are trouble. It is probably not worth the risk using that again. Next time use soft clothes.

Homebrewers Unite @ The Cleveland Brew Shop
http://clevelandbrewshop.com/

Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks a lot for the fast reply! So you think sitting in oxy clean is efficient enough? I will consider PBW next time. I'd like to finish off the oxy clean tho.

And yeah I thought you'd say that about to siphon tube.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenour64
Thanks a lot for the fast reply! So you think sitting in oxy clean is efficient enough? I will consider PBW next time. I'd like to finish off the oxy clean tho.

And yeah I thought you'd say that about to siphon tube.
With hoses, air locks, giving them a quick rinse after using keeps them clean. Every now and then an air lock will get gummed up, I use baby bottle brushes to get them scrubbed out.

Any of my plastics get cloudy are retired for new.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok thanks. I feel like this cleaning and sanitizing thing is so hard. Or I'm just making it more complicated then what it is. I need to find a routine or a good way to do all of it.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

After you are done runs some hot tap water through them to dissolve any sugar left in it, you can then use a solution of potassium metabilsulfite to run through it, drain dry and store. We also rinse off in KM before using tubing, thieves etc. Its cheap, you can make up a couple of gallons easy to just dump stuff into it. Buy it in powder form, not camden, a lot cheaper and easier to use than the camden. WVMJ

Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I almost never need to clean, but always sanitize. An ounce of prevention... I.e. rinse you tubing and siphons immediatly after using them with hot water. The spray nozzel on your kitchen sink can be your best friend for reaching hard to get spots.

After that I use either Star San (love this stuff) or K-meta only when I go to brew again.

Sounds like you are already doing good work cleaning, just try using 'high pressure' or 'a good soak' for those hard to reach places! :-)

Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the advice! I'm currently on my second batch of wine which is an island mist peach Chardonnay. My first batch was welches grape and it went bad along the way somehow.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just transferred my wine into my better bottle. And looking closer at my bucket, there are a ton of scratches which is crazy because I stirred in a pot and when I mixed I didn't hit the sides at all? Do most experienced brewers still do primary In buckets or just a bigger carboy?

I'm debating just buying a 6.5 glass carboy and a 6 gal glass carboy to avoid scratches. Will a glass carboy scratch when stirring bentonite or other ingredients?

This is kind of frustrating because I just paid 75$ for this kit and I'm thinking I shoulda just bought glass.

Quick Reply