Anyone else hate the term "Brew in a Bag"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haxmax

Reaction score
I love this technique!! I think it's a really smart way to brew great beer.

But, man, I wish it was called Single Vessel Brewing. "Brew in a Bag" just makes it sound lame.

Anyone else?

What kind of condescending remarks are made by "real" all grain brewers? BIAB to me is just as much all grain because you're using...wait for it...all grain. I like the term BIAB because that is what is going on. I don't call all grain with three vessels 3-vessel brewing. :)

:D You may have a good point. Maybe some of the "real all grain" brewers wouldn't be so condescending then!

No. We still would be. :cross::mug::D That's like calling a janitor a custodial engineer.

In all seriousness though, who cares how it's made or what the process is named as long as it tastes great!

what kind of condescending remarks are made by "real" all grain brewers? Biab to me is just as much all grain because you're using...wait for it...all grain. I like the term biab because that is what is going on. I don't call all grain with three vessels 3-vessel brewing. :)

1+

What kind of condescending remarks are made by "real" all grain brewers? BIAB to me is just as much all grain because you're using...wait for it...all grain. I like the term BIAB because that is what is going on. I don't call all grain with three vessels 3-vessel brewing. :)

Um… no. We're not brewing in a bag. We're brewing in a kettle and we use a bag to contain and then remove the grain.

It's like saying you make tea in a tea bag… No… you make tea in a tea pot.

I don't find the condescending remarks offensive - just ignorant :)

All kidding aside, I would love to get into three vessel brewing. However, I would venture to guess that there are plenty of BIABers that make beer that would be indistinguishable from that made by the three-vessel purists.

New ideas are rarely accepted in those areas of study where tradition is strong, and beer is simply steeped in tradition. It is even worse when the new idea is touted as more "simple", "convenient", "inexpensive", "easy", etc.

Regardless of the terminology, the response would likely be the same. However, "single-vessel brewing" might have resulted in a less negative assosciation by having less emphasis placed on the bag itself.

It really should be more like Mash in a Bag. You don't BREW in a bag - you're not boiling or fermenting in the bag, you're mashing in it.
And I agree, OP, it's an incredibly awesome way to get into all grain brewing, first of all, and in general as a simple way to brew. I personally don't use that method, but I've done it several times and it's very easy and quick.

When first describing brew in a bag to someone, they mentioned how it must be like jail house hooch. Now when I hear BIAB I always think of pruno.

Doesn't bother me. Better than someone saying that I brew with a hag.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

I've never done BIAB, and don't plan to, but I've never felt it was any less "brewing" than using three vessels. But some asshat will always take issue with someone NOT doing things the way they do it. BIAB brewers can be just as guilty of this as anyone else.

A buddy of mine is just getting into homebrewing, and loves my 2-tier three vessel system with a pump. I suggested he check out BIAB first because he already has a 7 gallon pot, a burner and a chiller.

Some of the $hit I've been pilloried for here on HBT:
I fly sparge, and have for 15 years. I like it, it works for me, leave it alone, batch spargers
I immersion chill. Don't want a plate chiller, I like to leave all the break material behind in my kettle, and the immersion chiller takes 10 seconds to clean.
I bottle. I kegged at one time, but didn't like it, sold it all off, have no plans to go back. But I wish I still had 4 of my cornies back for lagering...
I use a temperature controlled fermentation chamber (two, actually). Someone in the "I make great beer at room temperature" crowd eventually takes issue.
I use glass carboys. OMG, I'm surely going to DIE from doing this. In 18 years, I haven't broken one...yet.

Recently I got flack for pointing out that there was a price difference between using StarSan and Vodka in an airlock. Really?

The point is, someone is always going to try to pi$$ in your Cheerios. Sometimes you just have to let it go and scroll down.

I bottle. I kegged at one time, but didn't like it, sold it all off, have no plans to go back. But I wish I still had 4 of my cornies back for lagering...
I am curious though, as I saw you mention this in the thread about Veteran brewers who still bottle. What was it about kegging you didn't like? I'm back and forth all the time about going back to bottling. I've been kegging for 4 years. How long did you keg?

Um… no. We're not brewing in a bag. We're brewing in a kettle and we use a bag to contain and then remove the grain.

It's like saying you make tea in a tea bag… No… you make tea in a tea pot.

Fine, you're brewing with a bag. If it is really something that irks you so much that you even correct those who use the term brew-IN-a-bag so literally then I'm not sure what to say. Would you be one of those "all grain 3-vessel" brewers who make condescending remarks to those who brew WITH but not IN a bag?

I brew with my dog around...I'm an all grain 3-vessel brewer with now the occasional desire to brew WITH a bag and WITH my dog. I shorten my label to 3VBWBIABWMG.

:ban:

I love this technique!! I think it's a really smart way to brew great beer.

But, man, I wish it was called Single Vessel Brewing. "Brew in a Bag" just makes it sound lame.

Anyone else?

To be honest BIAB is just a cheaper way of doing a malt pipe, as used in the Speidel Braumeister brewing system. Not sure if they were the first to come up with the method, but it really is a slick way to do all grain. If actual malt pipes were available in sizes that would fit commonly used brew pots, that would be the method that I would use. A malt pipe is essentially just a stainless tube with screen end caps. You put the grain inside and circulate the water/wort through it. No stuck sparges and supposedly the efficiency is higher.

Bags are popular, and always will be, because they are cheap and commonly available.

Jeez guys, :(

I was just curious if anyone else wasn't crazy about a technique having kind of a crappy name.

It's not gonna keep me up at night.

Jeez, I'm glad nobody calls my method BiaCRWC (Brew in a Converted Rubbermaid Water Cooler). That would be a real mouthful. :D

Edit: FWIW, I agree, BiaB is kind of a lame name for what's actually a really nifty process.
I wish sometimes that I had gone the BiaB route instead of converted coolers, all that crap takes up so much space.

[sarcasm] I just hate Australia, and everything about it. And everything that comes from it. So BIAB, no-chill brewing, all that jazz can suck it! DIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFEEEEEERRRRRREEEEEEENNNNNNTTTT!!! [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, who cares what it's called? Or what someone else thinks of your process? I've done both, and I prefer using a cooler MLT, but one is no less brewing than the other.

I was just curious if anyone else wasn't crazy about a technique having kind of a crappy name.

:) LOL - wait until you've been on the forum a few more months. In my short time here, I've seen some humongous pi$$ing contests over stuff that doesn't make a darn! (Kinda like discussions on motorcycle forums about which is the best oil. ;) )

The only thing I don't like about the name is it reminds me of about 20 years when someone bought me something called a "brew bag". It was a plastic lined straw bag that you filled with water, hung someplace for a week, then drank beer out of the spout on the bag. I presume it had hopped DME and yeast in the bag. Yes. It was as disgusting as it sounds. I took one sip and threw the thing away.

nope the name fits the technique... and I use two vessels when I BIAB or maybe even three? my bag goes in a turkey fryer colander(1), which goes into my Kettle(2), and I sparge with my bottle bucket(3) so Single Vessel Brewing wouldn't fit for me.

[sarcasm] I just hate Australia, and everything about it. And everything that comes from it.

I remember going to see The Sound of Music when I was a kid, and walking out disappointed that there wasn't a single kangaroo. Damn Aussies.

1387854319966.jpg

:) LOL - wait until you've been on the forum a few more months. In my short time here, I've seen some humongous pi$$ing contests over stuff that doesn't make a darn! (Kinda like discussions on motorcycle forums about which is the best oil. ;) )

Hey! I think I started some of those. :D

I partial mashed using the brew in a bag technique before brew in a bag was a term. It was tough explaining it to someone back then.

I think "brew in a bag" conveys the idea of what is being done fairly well.

I like the name - it's got a great DIY vibe to it, and it's so much less daunting, both in name and in process, than traditional all-grain.

"Hey, wanna come brew beer with me sometime?"
"I dunno . . . sounds complicated, I'm pretty sure I'd mess something up."
"Don't worry, it's the easiest thing in the world. I literally brew in a bag."
"Well, when you put it that way, when can we start?"

I must say, back when I was still honing my craft in extract brewing, I got the impression from this forum and a couple of other places that there was something deficient about BIAB. Not one to rely on others to formulate my own opinion, I researched both traditional 3 vessel and BIAB, and I concluded that it was the logical next step for my beginner level of experience and very limited budget. I have had tremendous success on nearly every brew so far, and I don't anticipate changing the way I brew unless it is to optimize my BIAB system.

That's not to say that I won't one day move to traditional 3 vessel with all the bells and whistles. I just don't think my current skill level justifies spending 3 times my monthly brewing budget to upgrade with all the equipment I'll need. Maybe when SWMBO finishes grad school and starts pulling her weight around here, I'll have some cash to explore that facet.

As for the term, I can see where it's a little annoying. Hell, it almost dissuaded me from moving to all-grain. But I'm glad I did make the move. Now, this and the recipe board are my most frequented boards.

:mug:

That brings up a question I've been trying to understand:

What can you brew with a 3-vessel system that you can't brew with BIAB?

Not a fan of it, but I'm also really not a fan of "home brewer" either :)

Amateur zymugist? Semi-pro brewer? DIY Beer craftsman? Voile magician? Garage yeast propagation manager?

If we don't like BIAB, let make a new name for it.

That brings up a question I've been trying to understand:

What can you brew with a 3-vessel system that you can't brew with BIAB?

Can you decoct with BIAB? I guess you could tie off half a dozen bags and pull one or two at a time for a decoction.

I don't have a 3 vessel system yet, but a HERMS is on my build list. I've been using a MLT cooler and no sparging for 4 or 5 years. The HERMS I'm thinking of would actually be a 2 vessel for a while. I'd make my BK do double duty as the HLT.

A 3 vessel system not so much about what you can or can't do. It about efficiency, control, and automation.

Latest posts

Back