The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central USA > Kansas HomeBrew Forum > Cider Brewers in KC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
MechaMacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Cider Brewers in KC?

So, I may be blasted for this here, but I've got thick skin so it's ok. I personally don't like the taste of beer. I've never been able to get into it. I started brewing my own cider though and I'm a fan! Anyone in the KC area that brews cider and would be interested in a trade and grade? Not sure if the local biermeisters do anything but beer, but would be interested if so. Any thoughts or comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
schwiz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Any luck MechaMacter?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
hautlle
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You could definitely try the KC Biermeisters. With the size of their club they almost HAVE to have someone concentrating on ciders/meads.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
marvaden
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have two different ciders going right now, but I want to let them go for a little bit longer since they are both all brett. I would definitely be interested in a trade and grade. (Or even just a meet up and try each other's cider). I live in Prairie Village, so I am right next to you.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
bmcdowell
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just wanted to say hi - getting ready for my first cider batch as soon as fermenter frees up from my current brew.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
bmcdowell
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

What cider do you guys recommend?? Was thinking about Louisburg Cider Mill

Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
marvaden
Recipes 

That's what I used. It was easy to get, tasted good, and still available.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
MechaMacster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wow guys, just got my first email about posts in this thread. Sorry about that! I haven't tried brewing with Louisberg's, you'll have to let us know how it turns out. Or better yet, pass it around! I typically brew with just the cheap Old Orchard Apple Juice, then once it's fermented out I stabilize and backsweeten with concentrate. Recipe was on this site as (Dave's maybe?) Caramel Apple Cider.

To answer the previous posts, I looked into KC Biermeisters and attended their meeting on a cider day. They were an awesome group of people with a few who did cider in addition to beer, but beer was definitely the focus so I bowed out. If I ever try a competition though, I'll be asking them if I can use their name on my stuff to get them points. I highly recommend checking them out if you're a beer drinker.

And Marvaden and anyone else interested, I'm definitely down for a swap. I've got another couple weeks on my batch then I'd be ready. This cold kinda set me back. I brew in the basement and this batch has struggled. I even did a swamp cooler with aquarium heater, but the airlock has been slow. No promises this batch will be as good as normal, but you're welcome to try it!

Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
schwiz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I ended up going with Rees fruit farm out of Topeka. They sell cider with no preservatives if you buy it from them directly (if you buy in grocery stores it has preservatives) They UV pasteurize too! I'm up for a swap as well, I'll be priming next weekend (the 18th)

Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
marvaden
Recipes 

Hey, are we down for a get together of some sort. I just got my cider kegged. Mine is a bit on the weird side because I went with all brett fermentation.

Quick Reply