Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin HomeBrew Forum > Wisconsin Here I Come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Wisconsin Here I Come

Going back there July30-Aug06...Flying into Madison, spending the day at my moms in Portage and then the next day driving up to the Oconto County area for 4 days after a drive by @ Lambeau Field. We will be going up the 41, so maybe lunch at a brewery?.Which brewery(s) do I have to go to?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
Going back there July30-Aug06...Flying into Madison, spending the day at my moms in Portage and then the next day driving up to the Oconto County area for 4 days after a drive by @ Lambeau Field. We will be going up the 41, so maybe lunch at a brewery?.Which brewery(s) do I have to go to?
I really like Titletown for lunch and beer, and then a walk across the street to Hinterland and their upstairs bar. (Hinterland is a pricey dinner place, with gourmet food, but the beer is good and I like their pale ale a lot). Titletown has great food, and really good beer. David, the brewer, is usually friendly and helpful to brewers, and I know Zamial (from this forum- that's his user name) works at Titletown now as well. Titletown is in downtown Green Bay, not too far from Lambeau Field.

I can't think of anything else near or on 41. There is Stone Cellar in Appleton, and that's pretty good and it's not too far off of 41.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Fox River Brewing is right off of 41 in Appleton it's been 12 years but their beer was pretty good. Slab City in Bonduel

Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Well, Fox River is "meh" at best and the food has gone downhill badly. It's at the mall, so that may be convenient if shopping.

Slab City closed YEARS ago!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, Fox River is "meh" at best and the food has gone downhill badly. It's at the mall, so that may be convenient if shopping.

Slab City closed YEARS ago!
Like I said years ago, Slab City was cool and tasty nice guy too bad.

Fox River was in Fond du Lac back in the day.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I really like Titletown for lunch and beer, and then a walk across the street to Hinterland and their upstairs bar. (Hinterland is a pricey dinner place, with gourmet food, but the beer is good and I like their pale ale a lot). Titletown has great food, and really good beer. David, the brewer, is usually friendly and helpful to brewers, and I know Zamial (from this forum- that's his user name) works at Titletown now as well. Titletown is in downtown Green Bay, not too far from Lambeau Field.

I can't think of anything else near or on 41. There is Stone Cellar in Appleton, and that's pretty good and it's not too far off of 41.
Thanks Yooper...I just might have to check out both places. During my trip, I wonder how many bombers I'll be shipping home?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
Thanks Yooper...I just might have to check out both places. During my trip, I wonder how many bombers I'll be shipping home?
I'd try to not miss New Glarus (south of Madison). That's probably the best in Wisconsin.

One thing I'd suggest is going up I39/51. There are a couple of breweries along the way, one in Plover. It's really good, and people like it. http://www.osobrewing.com/Home.php

Point Brewing is popular as well (in Steven's Point). They have a tour, I believe. There are a couple in Wausau, but are newer and I haven't been there (except for Hereford and Hops, which is decent). There is Central Waters in Marshfield, but I don't care for their beers much. Others do, so it may just be me. Legends (Green Bay and Appleton) is terrible, but the food is ok (like an Applebee's type).

I just can't think of anything at all along HWY 41. You could go up I39, and then cut over on 29 to go to Green Bay.

There are lots of breweries and good beer in Milwaukee, if you're headed that way.

Here's a list I found: http://www.wistravel.com/breweries.htm

I have seen a Wisconsin "Beer Map", but I don't remember where. I rarely get to southern WI, but I know central and northern quite well.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
teal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'll second Titletown for sure. Great beer and food. Probably go there 2x a month easily. Hinterland is okay as well but real expensive to eat. That's about it really for around here. (I live in GB and am a nice scooter ride away from Titletown Brewer)

If you're looking for a good bar that serves beer there's The Libertine (Tony's a great guy and from the UP) on Washington St and The Cock and Bull on Main. Best 2 in town for craft beers (IMO).

Andrew

Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

looking for a place to go for lunch before or after our visit inside Lambeau,,,,,then maybe pick up beers only for the trip up and back. My brother drinks nothing but Miller Light in the can...maybe I can change his palate....he never liked margaritas or fish tacos till he visited us out here in San Diego. Sounds like Titletown is on the list. Hinterland too, but won't go there for lunch

Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
GenIke
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
I'd try to not miss New Glarus (south of Madison). That's probably the best in Wisconsin.

One thing I'd suggest is going up I39/51. There are a couple of breweries along the way, one in Plover. It's really good, and people like it. http://www.osobrewing.com/Home.php

Point Brewing is popular as well (in Steven's Point). They have a tour, I believe. There are a couple in Wausau, but are newer and I haven't been there (except for Hereford and Hops, which is decent). There is Central Waters in Marshfield, but I don't care for their beers much. Others do, so it may just be me. Legends (Green Bay and Appleton) is terrible, but the food is ok (like an Applebee's type).

I just can't think of anything at all along HWY 41. You could go up I39, and then cut over on 29 to go to Green Bay.

Oso's is literally like like 400 yards off of I39, they have their brewery, a nice LHBS plus an awesome tap house that has like 50 Wisconsin beers on tap (plus non WI). All right next to each other.

Point is sorta half way between a micro and a BMC type of brewery, but the tour is really nice.

Central Waters is actually in Amherst ~roughly 15miles east of Oso/I39 I would guess. I like their beers and they have a nice tap house as well.

Quick Reply