The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen it a few times in here and I just have to say, I hate when Americans call soccer futbol, or anything else. In America it is Soccer. If anything 'Football' is the appropriate name in English speaking countries. Other names are of course the popular futbol, futebol, fotbol,Fußball, voetbal, fooseball, and even sokker. If you're in America, it's called soccer. Calling it these other names doesn't make you a proper fan or mean you know/love the game any more than someone else. It just makes you look like the guy in the bar ordering a SA Boston lager because he loves "Dark Beer". So unless you're all from a different country, (England doesn't count) it's Soccer.
/RANT

Well said. it's fooking football! :D

I wish we had more interested fans and could have a cooler thing to shout than "USA! USA! USA!" It makes us look lame when every other country has cool chants songs etc. and all we have is three letters to yell. sad panda.

This came up in the Olympics threads too. I have to agree. It makes USA supporters sound like morons......Sorry, but it's a fact. :(

Edit: this does not mean that any fans singing or chanting decent chants are NOT morons, it just means that they sound like they at least put some thought into their support. ;)

Seen it a few times in here and I just have to say, I hate when Americans call soccer futbol, or anything else. In America it is Soccer

I completely agree. Having grown up playing, it's always been soccer to me. If somehow put in the the situation of calling it football I really have to force it out and I feel awkward by saying it. However it seems that other phrases are more commonly used (by myself as well) and seem less awkward: match instead of game, pitch instead of field, kit instead of uniform or gear, boots instead of cleats, etc etc.

I completely agree. Having grown up playing, it's always been soccer to me. If somehow put in the the situation of calling it football I really have to force it out and I feel awkward by saying it.

This is why I always call the game S#ccer in these threads. Every time an Englishman says the S word, a child in Africa dies.

This came up in the Olympics threads too. I have to agree. It makes USA supporters sound like morons......Sorry, but it's a fact. :(

Edit: this does not mean that any fans singing or chanting decent chants are NOT morons, it just means that they sound like they at least put some thought into their support. ;)

Give us a break, we're new to this ;) American soccer fans only really started coming out of their protective burrows of pretending to be baseball fans when we hosted the 1994 finals. "U-S-A" is handy, it's easily recognizable and when people start it up it spreads through an American crowd like wild fire. I mean seriously, what are we going to sing? "O beautiful for spacious skies / For amber waves of grain / For purple mountain majesties / Above the fruited plains!..." Kinda ridiculous

Give us a break, we're new to this ;) American soccer fans only really started coming out of their protective burrows of pretending to be baseball fans when we hosted the 1994 finals. "U-S-A" is handy, it's easily recognizable and when people start it up it spreads through an American crowd like wild fire. I mean seriously, what are we going to sing? "O beautiful for spacious skies / For amber waves of grain / For purple mountain majesties / Above the fruited plains!..." Kinda ridiculous

WRONG!!! That is EXACTLY the kind of thing they should be singing! :D

R..really? Seems a bit fruity to me. You English-types have offensive and insulting chants/songs... we have brotherhood and God and $hit... not quite the same effect :D

It doesn't matter what you sing as long as the players and the fans can identify with it. the idea is to form a bond and stand out as individual from the opposition. USA USA USA just doesn't cut it like a good rousing vocal rendition of a nationally treasured song can. It reeks of effort and pride. :)

:( NZ out. Oh well, at least we didn't lose a single game. And besides, if we'd gone through we would've just got spanked by the Dutch!
I'm going to be tired today, getting up at 2am to watch a game is not conducent to resreshing sleep. Bring on the coffee!

All right. I vote for Louie Louie. Who's with me?
That would also work great!

English chant: (Clears throat)

Vindaloo Vindaloo Vindaloo
Vindaloo Vindaloo Vindaloooooooo

Vindaloo Vindaloooooooooooooo

Vindaloo Vindaloo Vindaloooooooo

Vindaloo Vindaloooooooooooooo

It's individual, so it works! :)

Another:

Who ate all the pies?
Who ate all the pies?
YOU fat bastard
YOU fat bastard
YOU ate all the pies!

:( NZ out. Oh well, at least we didn't lose a single game. And besides, if we'd gone through we would've just got spanked by the Dutch!
I'm going to be tired today, getting up at 2am to watch a game is not conducent to resreshing sleep. Bring on the coffee!

The Kiwis did great, it did not go without notice. :)

Come to think of it, America the Beautiful would be the perfect fan song. Every body knows it, moderate tempo so the crowd can stay together, starts on lower notes then reaches a crescendo at "A-maaaare-ih-cah, A-maaaare-ih-cah"

I wish I was there. I'd hand out copies of the lyrics before the game with the instruction to sing at the 15:00 mark.

Come to think of it, America the Beautiful would be the perfect fan song. Every body knows it, moderate tempo so the crowd can stay together, starts on lower notes then reaches a crescendo at "A-maaaare-ih-cah, A-maaaare-ih-cah"

I wish I was there. I'd hand out copies of the lyrics before the game with the instruction to sing at the 15:00 mark.

It's a good song to sway to as well. You gotta remember to sway. :)

R..really? Seems a bit fruity to me. You English-types have offensive and insulting chants/songs... we have brotherhood and God and $hit... not quite the same effect :D

It's a showtune. A bloody showtune!! But God, it means so much to us, that song...

Last edited by a moderator:
2010-06-23.jpg

Never on a par with liverpool, but even my poxy little home town club can manage a decent song (Even if we had to steal it from New Orleans) ;)

I started a Yahoo group for the elimination rounds....

http://us.wc.fantasysports.yahoo.com/world-cup/group/38845

Group Name: Tap Room
password: gnome

game on!

For some reason I can't join. When I click your link it says "You are not a member of this group." So then I try to join it manually by entering the group name and password correctly and it said "This is not a private group." Soooooo then I browsed the public groups and couldn't find "Tap Room." Grrrrrrrr

You want to know true football passion, Australia gets eliminated from the World Cup, so we go straight to the top and sack our Prime Minister. No mucking about with sacking coaches or managers or whatever they call them.

The ride is over, we can all get back to concentrating on real football now. The Tri-Nations Rugby Union series (go Wallabies) the Australian Football League (AFL) go St Kilda and the rugby league (NRL) - the mighty St George Illawarra Dragons.

For some reason I can't join. When I click your link it says "You are not a member of this group." So then I try to join it manually by entering the group name and password correctly and it said "This is not a private group." Soooooo then I browsed the public groups and couldn't find "Tap Room." Grrrrrrrr

Have to join with the group number, not name: 38845

so after reading these last few pages....

Americans don't like soccer because we don't understand it. True. It's so hard to comprehend the rules and figure out what is even going on. Why can the one guy wearing a different colored shirt touch the ball with his hands? Why does it take so long to score? Its all so hard to figure out....I mean you have to be scholar to figure it out I guess? And with all the sophisticated fans in the seat blowing kazoos...it makes my head spin. Truly an elite sport.

OR ...its the only sport where all you need is a ball. The only sport where third world chirldren can participate and they can easily relate because its the only game they've ever played? In fact, you don't even need a ball. I highly doubt kids all over the world would still choose soccer if they(their parents, their parent's parents...etc) had the access to the equipment needed for other sports. Nothing more laughable than someone telling me I don't like soccer because I don't understand it. Um, look...its really not that radical. They run plays...offsides is easily understandable and just like any other sport the team who play more aggresively and wins the non-statistical hustle-type plays are gonna win.

Oh and americans lack knowledge and passion because we don't sing rad songs...nice try on that one.

Not needing any equipment to play s#ccer is HUGE in the world. You don't even need a ball. A tin can and two random objects placed a few feet apart, and you have a s#ccer game that anyone can play (Apart from Legless Norman, he always gets picked last for the team)

Not needing any equipment to play s#ccer is HUGE in the world. You don't even need a ball. A tin can and two random objects placed a few feet apart, and you have a s#ccer game that anyone can play (Apart from Legless Norman, he always gets picked last for the team)

Ditto, probably why basketball never took off. Empty cans don't bounce for ****.

Back